Taxes are on the rise

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Trinimd
Taxes are on the rise

Post by Trinimd » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Just got an email for my two accounts in Florida
Taxes are going up from $3.45 to $4.50
:-(
OOMA TELO 1 (Purchased Dec 2009.)
OOMA Telo 2 (Purchased Feb 2010.)
3 Ooma Handsets (Free from refer a friend) Sold all 3 POS on Ebay
2 GE ATT DECT 6.0
7 Uniden 1580 DECT 6.0
20 Refer A friends Completed

All Powered by one Phone Socket

waynedunham

Re: Taxes are on the rise

Post by waynedunham » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 am

I just got the same Email here in CT and mine are going up $0.80 to $4.27 from $3.47. :x %$@$#@% government leeches!

dealing3000

Post by dealing3000 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 am

Why I am angry is that this is a completely BS fee. The bolded part are costs to do business and should not be considered a tax or fee. This is pure phone company BS seeping into Ooma.

Regulatory Compliance Fee...
Ooma uses this fee to recover certain of Ooma’s costs associated with compliance with regulatory, legal and tax requirements including: (1) fees Ooma is required to pay to support the TRS fund, which supports facilities and services used to provide telecommunications services for individuals with hearing or speech disabilities; (2) annual regulatory fees assessed on Ooma by the Federal Communications Commission; (3) costs Ooma incurs administering, billing, collecting and making required tax and regulatory filings and complying with other regulations; (4) regulatory surcharges Ooma pays to the providers of telecommunications that Ooma uses to provide its services.

castmike

Post by castmike » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Since there was not any info on actual tax increases I assume they are just increasing their "service" fees to collect taxes.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 pm

All clearly spelled out: https://go.ooma.com/tax_calculator

Regulatory Compliance Fee

Ooma uses this fee to recover certain of Ooma’s costs associated with compliance with regulatory, legal and tax requirements including: (1) fees Ooma is required to pay to support the TRS fund, which supports facilities and services used to provide telecommunications services for individuals with hearing or speech disabilities; (2) annual regulatory fees assessed on Ooma by the Federal Communications Commission; (3) costs Ooma incurs administering, billing, collecting and making required tax and regulatory filings and complying with other regulations; (4) regulatory surcharges Ooma pays to the providers of telecommunications that Ooma uses to provide its services.

911 Service Fee

Ooma uses this fee to recover its costs of providing 911 service for Ooma customers as required by Federal Communications Commission regulations.

Federal Universal Service Charge

Ooma uses this fee to recover contributions Ooma is required to make to the federal Universal Service Fund, which provides support to promote access to telecommunications services at reasonable rates for those living in rural and high-cost areas, income-eligible consumers, rural health care facilities, and schools and libraries.

State and local taxes, fees and surcharges

These charges include taxes, fees and surcharges imposed by state, county, parish, borough, district and municipal governments, such as state universal service funds, local 911 services, sales and utility taxes and other local taxes, fees and surcharges, based on the registered location of your Ooma device. Some of these fees are government mandated charges and others are charges Ooma passes through to you.

davidm

Post by davidm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Gee what a coincidence. Suddenly fees went up on the same month nationwide and the states all coordinated it for this month all at once. :o Yeah right. It's obvious it's Ooma who decided to suddenly start collecting these fees.

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 am

After entering my zip code in the calculator I find the monthly charge to be $4.50. All are fees except one which is a $.23 tax.

Not bad considering my taxes would be a lot higher if I went with AT&T or any other service provider.
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member