Dissassemble a Scout - What's the trick?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
EricJRW
Re: Dissassemble a Scout - What's the trick?

Post by EricJRW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Very cool! I think if I did a speaker-ectomy, I would trail a couple of wires outside the box just in case I ever wanted to hook up an "external" speaker.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:56 pm

EricJRW wrote:Very cool! I think if I did a speaker-ectomy, I would trail a couple of wires outside the box just in case I ever wanted to hook up an "external" speaker.
Or possibly add an 1/8" mini jack to make it look like a pro job. ;)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I can't argue that the most humane way to treat this generous "donor patient" from my speaker-ecomy operation would be to at least compensate him with a simple 1/8" jack in his torso.

However, my wife and I keep our two Hubs out of sight in the wiring closet and use our Scouts only for checking VM at our desks so this low-life donor patient would never have a normal life anyway, so who cares. Without a speaker, no one will even know he's hidden in my closet, so why should I waste any time caring about him....unless I need to harvest more of his organs.....HA HA HA HA

Dr. Bill

tm0445

Post by tm0445 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Thank you, thank you for the info on how to get into a scout!! Mine was experiencing the power connector problem with all red lights on, failing to finish booting, etc. Moving the power connector definitely caused the problems. As I suspected, the problem was the connector itself. The center pin of the power connector was riveted to a separate metal piece down to the circuit board with the failure of the rivet causing the problem (circuit board connections looked good.) Used a soldering iron (50watt tip, worked fast) and soldered the pin to the metal piece, problem solved. BUT I wouldn't have made it there w/o getting to those first two hidden screws!!