Not all my outlets are carrying the Ooma Dialtone

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Not all my outlets are carrying the Ooma Dialtone

Post by thunderbird » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

zincmann wrote:Thunderbird thank you again, so youre saying to do that on the Demarc box outside? As you see in one pic the two beige wires coming into the box from the house are in the Demarc box as well as the new Cat 5/3 cable that goes into the house from the box.
You could do it in the Demarc box outside, or if you can identify both phone cables coming into the house at a junction box inside the house, you could do it there, which ever is easier.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 am

OK so I actually pulled out an outlet in my daughters room that does not have dial tone on the second floor and hers is wired with TWO beige quad wires, two reds, two greens, two blacks and two yellows all hooked up into the posts in the back of the switch plate...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 am

zincmann wrote:OK so I actually pulled out an outlet in my daughters room that does not have dial tone on the second floor and hers is wired with TWO beige quad wires, two reds, two greens, two blacks and two yellows all hooked up into the posts in the back of the switch plate...
So there is probably two phone cables coming into the terminals at this phone jack?

Just by chance that one of the phone wire pairs might be alive in the phone jack box that you just opened, try the following:
Since you have this jack open in your daughter's room, you could jumper from the red/Green pair of wires to the Yellow/Black pair of wires. Detail: You could add a jumper from the red wire to the yellow wire. Then jumper from the Green wire to the Black wire. Then test and see if you have Ooma dial tone.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am

Thunderbird I am guessing that is the case here is what I have in the pics....
Attachments
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG (34.04KiB)Viewed 5294 times
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG (50.17KiB)Viewed 5294 times

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 am

Your house is wired by the "daisy chain" method instead of the "home run" method.
The red, green, yellow, and black of each cable are connected to the same terminal.
One cable is the feed from the previous jack and the other cable is the feed to the next jack.
You need to map your house.
Disconnect all of the cables at the feed point.
Connect one cable to the Ooma Phone port and then determine which jacks in the house are live.
Disconnect the first cable and connect the second cable and again determine which jacks are live.
Repeat for as many cables as you have at the feed point.

Once you know where each of the cables goes you will be in a position to decide how you want to connect Ooma to the house.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 am

Murphy appreciate your input, my next question would be is there a device that can be had cheaply that would be able to test the outlets without having to do all that you mentioned? I jumpered greens and blacks and yellows and reds as Thunderbird had suggested and still no dial-tone. Funny thing is its ONLY One room i need to get the dial tone to on the second floor.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am

Check the outlets in the adjacent rooms for a loose connection.

Is the picture that you posted of the dead outlet?
If it is there should be more than one dead outlet since it is not the end of the line. If it was the end of the line there would only be one cable.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 am

NO that is the next room down the hallway from my Home office with the dead outlet. There is an outlet accross my room which was wired by either phone or TElco which has a cable nub AND a phone jack and that is also not functioning, that was installed int he last couple of years, so I actually tested BOTH of those. So the room where I need the service has ONE cable coming into the box. I will check all the outlets to make sure all wires are attached.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 am

I put everything back together in my daughters room and made sure those cords and wires were put back to their respective poles, r, y, g, b. The pink room I could care less about, shes not getting a phone for another 10 yrs!! Haha. But the room before that has one beige cable so would checking the other rooms still be advantageous for loose wire?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:50 am

In a "Daisy Chain" environment the box with one cable is the end of the run. It then goes from box to box until it ends up at the feed point. A loose connection at any box in the run will disconnect all boxes after that point. Since you only have one dead box the bad connection has to be at that box or at the box that feeds that box. They would be in a logical order to minimze the length of the wire. The mapping procedure would tell you what jacks are in a given run. Putting that on a sketch of the rooms will show the most likely order that they were wired together.