Distribute Ooma Scout dialtone

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
examiner44
Distribute Ooma Scout dialtone

Post by examiner44 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:22 pm

I have been using Ooma for years but I am new to the forums. I currently have the hub with the dialtone distributed by plugging the "phone" output from the hub into phone wall jack. I am disconnected from the telephone company. I would like to have two phone lines available at all other jacks in the house and I would like to be able to use two line phones at the other jacks.

What I plan to do is upgrade to premier and activate a scout with a second phone number. I will obtain a line splitter (L1, L2, L1+L2). I will connect the hub "wall" connection to the "wall" connection on the scout directly using a short phone cable (hub and scout will be placed alongside each other). I will plug the line splitter into a nearby wall jack. I will then plug the hub "phone" connection into the L1 of the line splitter. I will plug the scout "phone" connection into the L2 of the splitter.

My hope is that this will distribute both lines through the home wiring. I should then be able to plug a two line phone into any wall jack in the house and be able to pick up both lines. Can someone tell me if this will work? If not, can you recommend another way to accomplish this? Thanks.

lbmofo

Re: Distribute Ooma Scout dialtone

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 pm

This should work unless your plates are not wired for 2 pairs. One quick way to check this out is to feed your Hub dialtone to L2 and see if other plates get the L2 dialtone.

examiner44

Post by examiner44 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:35 pm

lbmofo wrote:This should work unless your plates are not wired for 2 pairs.
Thanks for the response. We are wired for 2 pairs.

I was hoping someone someone who has tried this could comment to confirm. I want to make sure this would work before I go through the trouble. I'm just not sure if the Scout dialtone can be distributed in the same manner as the hub.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:42 pm

examiner44 wrote:
lbmofo wrote:This should work unless your plates are not wired for 2 pairs.
Thanks for the response. We are wired for 2 pairs.

I was hoping someone someone who has tried this could comment to confirm. I want to make sure this would work before I go through the trouble. I'm just not sure if the Scout dialtone can be distributed in the same manner as the hub.
Yes, you can distribute Scout dialtone that way. Quick test I mentioned would confirm your wiring would work too.

examiner44

Post by examiner44 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for your help. One more question... I have 5 phone jacks throughout the house that I would like to distribute the hub/scout dialtone to. Do you think this will be ok, or is there a maximum number of jacks that will accomodate this?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 pm

No problem with the number of jacks. You won't run into issues unless you try to plug in too many old fashioned bell ringer type phones. Ooma is supposed to support up to 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number); this number should be the same with Scout; you won't have an issue plugging in modern phone systems.

viewtopic.php?t=10144

examiner44

Post by examiner44 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks for all of your help.