Talking when the other person is still talking

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rich t
Talking when the other person is still talking

Post by rich t » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 am

Why is it that you seem to overtallk the other person on the line. It seems that you start talking while the other person is still talking. It casuses much confusion and someone with a short temper (my wife for one) to get angina.

thunderbird

Re: Talking when the other person is still talking

Post by thunderbird » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 am

rich t wrote:Why is it that you seem to overtallk the other person on the line. It seems that you start talking while the other person is still talking. It casuses much confusion and someone with a short temper (my wife for one) to get angina.
This problem is usually caused by a defective phone connected to the Ooma device or the Modem operating at Half-Duplex speeds.
Half-Duplex conversations are often called One Way conversations, because each person has to wait for the other to finish talking, before the other can talk.
Full-Duplex conversation is when both parties can talk at the same time and each can hear each other clearly.

Half duplex operation can be caused by any device on the home's LAN that pulls the Modem down from Full-Dupex to Half-Duplex.

Reboot your modem, then test and see if your problem at least temporarily goes away.

Try another completely different phone and see if the problem goes away.

turbo9

Post by turbo9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 am

My dad had this issue when I when I put his Telo on his home network behind his firewall. I moved it outside the firewall, and this fixed the problem - I assume there was some kind of latency or competition on the uplink.

I upgraded the Internet modem and firewall (part of a bigger but likely helpful project) and moved the Telo back behind the firewall. I assigned the Ooma the highest priority at firewall, and the problem was gone.

So, while half duplex might be an issue, it also might be related to latency and uplink capacity - you need to ensure that your voice traffic has the highest priority.

Incidentally, I found that routing all traffic through the Telo greatly reduced the throughput even after configuring the Telo with accurate uplink and downlink speeds - this is why I moved it out of the path of all other traffic.

jazzycat

Post by jazzycat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 am

I really wish I understood all this techno talk. I guess maybe I should go back to school and take some computer courses.

I have that issue sometimes with my ooma handset, but not on the OLD panasonic phones that are also attached to the telo. Does that mean my ooma handset is bad?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:09 am

jazzycat wrote:I really wish I understood all this techno talk. I guess maybe I should go back to school and take some computer courses.

I have that issue sometimes with my ooma handset, but not on the OLD panasonic phones that are also attached to the telo. Does that mean my ooma handset is bad?
Try resetting the Telo handset(s):

Procedure to reset the Ooma Telo handset.
First, if required, go to My Ooma https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-t ... -functions, to view the Ooma Telo Handset button functions and location picture.
1. Turn off the Handset by pressing and holding the (red colored) End Call button, until the Handset goes off.
2. Press and hold the following two keys until told to release them later in this procedure:
Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
3. Turn on the Handset by pressing the (red colored) End Call button.
4. Release the two keys being held in step 2, Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
5. The Handset goes into auto registration mode.
Note: You will have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING, when pressing the left Soft key + the 0 (zero) key, you must Continue to HOLD DOWN These Keys while turning handset back on.
Then and only then will the handset enter the registration mode, which then allows you to input the four digit code.

Register the Ooma Telo Handset:
Find the 4-digit PIN number for your Ooma Telo by logging into:
http://my.ooma.com/pin
Bring the handset next to the Ooma Telo.
Set the Ooma Telo in registration mode by pressing and holding the Paging Key located on the upper right hand face of the Ooma Telo for 3 seconds. The Paging Key will start flashing rapidly.
When prompted on the handset, enter the PIN number found above and press the OK soft key.
When the handset successfully registers, a home screen will be displayed.

Each Ooma Telo supports up to four Ooma Telo Handsets. This is in addition to any phones plugged into the PHONE port of the device.
See link below for Oma Telo handset instructions.
http://c0363312.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 9-spec.pdf

Last:
If none of these procedures works, report your problems ot Ooma Customer Support.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST