Computer loses internet connection every couple of days

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Curtis34
Computer loses internet connection every couple of days

Post by Curtis34 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm

I have a 2wire integrated DSL modem/router with wi-fi (2701HG-B). The ooma hub is connected to it with an ethernet cable and my Mac is connected to the ooma via an ethernet cable. I also have a Mac in another room that connects to the modem via wi-fi.

I did the installation several months ago and am pretty happy with it.

The annoying problem I have is that the Mac that is hardwired to the ooma loses its internet connection every couple of days and I have to reboot it to regain a connection. During these outages the ooma is still able to make calls and the Mac that is connected to the modem/router via wi-fi stays connected to the internet.

The network setting for the wired Mac is TCP/IP and dynamic DHCP. The ooma's network connection is set to dynamic DHCP.

Any ideas?

murphy

Re: Computer loses internet connection every couple of days

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Is the hardwired Mac a desktop or a laptop?
What version of OS X is it running?

There have been many complaints in the Apple forums of failure to reconnect when coming out of sleep mode.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Curtis34

Post by Curtis34 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

The hardwired Mac is a desktop PowerPC Mac with OSX 10.4.11.
I'm not positive but I think the problem happens when coming out of sleep mode instead of mid-session. I'll start paying more attention.

It never happened before I got the ooma.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Curtis34 wrote:The hardwired Mac is a desktop PowerPC Mac with OSX 10.4.11.
I'm not positive but I think the problem happens when coming out of sleep mode instead of mid-session. I'll start paying more attention.

It never happened before I got the ooma.
Can you check your Ooma to Apple Mac connection IP address, in your Mac, that the Mac thinks it sees, when your Mac fails to connect. My computer's connection to the Ooma Telo and one other person's Ooma device, has found that the IP number assigned to the computer, when it fail to connect, is not within the 172-27-35-xxx range of IP numbers that are issued by the Ooma device's Home port. I don't know of a fix yet for this problem, but please let us know if the same thing is happening to your setup.

Curtis34

Post by Curtis34 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:02 pm

I looked at my network preferences page on the Mac and it shows the IP address as 172.27.35.33 and the router address as 172.27.35.1 .

The computer is still connected to the internet. It will probably be fine for a couple of days.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Curtis34 wrote:I looked at my network preferences page on the Mac and it shows the IP address as 172.27.35.33 and the router address as 172.27.35.1 .

The computer is still connected to the internet. It will probably be fine for a couple of days.
When mine would not connect, it changed from 172.27.35.117 to 192.168.0.1. In windows there is a Repair button that can be clicked on in the computer's Local Area Connection window. After clicking that button, it always connects back to a 172.27.35.xxx number and immedately connects to the Ooma Home port.

Curtis34

Post by Curtis34 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 am

I lost my internet connection again. A new IP of 169.254.83.174 had been assigned. I tried various things in the computer's network preferences to try to restore a connection but couldn't get anything to work. I restarted the computer and it works again. I'd like to find a fix.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:28 am

Curtis34 wrote:I lost my internet connection again. A new IP of 169.254.83.174 had been assigned. I tried various things in the computer's network preferences to try to restore a connection but couldn't get anything to work. I restarted the computer and it works again. I'd like to find a fix.
I found on the Internet for 169.254.83.174, Quote: "Hosts (your computer) obtain these addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server cannot be found".

Go to this location and there appears to be a fix for your problem. http://www.cultofmac.com/84767/how-to-f ... eo-how-to/

You could also connect a Switch to your 2wire integrated DSL modem/router with Wi-Fi (2701HG-B), then connect the Ooma device and the computer each to one of the Switch ports. With this connection, connect nothing to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily a computer to access Ooma Setup.

This setup may correct your problem, and with this setup, you won't have problems file sharing between computers, and network printing, because you will be on the same NAT.

If you still have the same problem after the Switch is installed, then the problem has to be with the computer.

Curtis34

Post by Curtis34 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm

I watched the video. I had already tried the "renew DCHP lease" option prior to rebooting.. It didn't work. It returned the same non-working IP address. I will try the "set new location" option next time I lose the connection but I'm not optimistic. I'm not going to install any switches so if that doesn't work I'll just keep rebooting the computer. Thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Curtis34 wrote:I watched the video. I had already tried the "renew DCHP lease" option prior to rebooting.. It didn't work. It returned the same non-working IP address. I will try the "set new location" option next time I lose the connection but I'm not optimistic. I'm not going to install any switches so if that doesn't work I'll just keep rebooting the computer. Thanks.
Can you set a static IP address in your MAC like can be done with Windows operating system computers? If you can use 172.27.35.117, the IP address that the Ooma Home port issues to your MAC.