Another Bricked Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Another Bricked Ooma

Post by thunderbird » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 am

soumyajyoti wrote:After the April 15th Voice mail upgrade, I found my telo has turned into a brick !

I have had it running for two years now, and never had any problems before. But if I have to go out and spend $200+ every couple of years, it makes no sense. Its not saving me any money !!

I am terribly frustrated and most probably will stop saying ooma is a good alternative to the Telco monsters.

I have recommended OOMA in the past and some of my friends have bought the unit. No more recommendations if I cannot get more than two years of service out of this crap.
What are the symptoms that you are having with the Ooma device? Does the Ooma device only boot to the L1 & L2 lights, or does it boot farther?

If the Ooma device is completely dead, maybe your power adapter is defective?

If the Ooma Voicemail 2.0 upgrade caused your Ooma device to malfunction, the following procedure may get it going again.
After removing power from the Ooma device, try disconnecting the Internet network cable, the Home port cable, the Phone cord(s), the USB Wi-Fi dongle, and the USB Bluetooth adapter, from the Ooma device. Then repower the Ooma device and see if it boot up to the red flashing light. If it does, connect the network cable to the Ooma Internet (Ooma Telo) or Internet (Ooma Hub) port and wait a while. If nothing happens, remove power from the Ooma device, then repower the Ooma device.

Was the April 15th Voice mail upgrade in 2011, or was the voicemail 2.0 upgrade in March 15, 2012? If you received the voicemail 2.0 upgrade in March 15, 2012, Ooma may be able to track this and sometimes they will make things right, if they think that the Voicemail upgrade caused your problem. If it were me I'd send a personnel E-mail to Ooma Moderator Bobby B., see page memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53 for the E-mail address. Explain that this happened just a day or two or three days ago, and you think it was the voicemail 2.0 upgrade that caused the problem.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

zten

Post by zten » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

So tell me more about the VM upgrade? My second ooma died about 10 days ago, and it was some short period of time after I responded to the email saying "upgrade your VM by the 15th to ensure a smooth transition". I did that and it was some number of hours later that my box was observed bricked.

I really don't think these bricked telos are any kind of traditional HW failure. Its some kind of SW/FW corruption happening. After my first ooma died, I got a UPS to power it based on some comments in these forums around power surges. Well, when my second box died on March 8, there was no observed power outage and my telo was powered from the UPS anyway.

I understand the frustration and sympathize.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 am

zten wrote:So tell me more about the VM upgrade? My second ooma died about 10 days ago, and it was some short period of time after I responded to the email saying "upgrade your VM by the 15th to ensure a smooth transition". I did that and it was some number of hours later that my box was observed bricked.

I really don't think these bricked telos are any kind of traditional HW failure. Its some kind of SW/FW corruption happening. After my first ooma died, I got a UPS to power it based on some comments in these forums around power surges. Well, when my second box died on March 8, there was no observed power outage and my telo was powered from the UPS anyway.

What are the symptoms that you are having with the Ooma device? Does the Ooma device only boot to the L1 & L2 lights, or does it boot farther?

If the Ooma Voicemail 2.0 upgrade caused your Ooma device to malfunction, the following procedure may get it going again.
After removing power from the Ooma device, try disconnecting the Internet network cable, the Home port cable, the Phone cord(s), the USB Wi-Fi dongle, and the USB Bluetooth adapter, from the Ooma device. Then repower the Ooma device and see if it boot up to the red flashing light. If it does, connect the network cable to the Ooma Internet (Ooma Telo) or Internet (Ooma Hub) port and wait a while. If nothing happens, remove power from the Ooma device, then repower the Ooma device.

Was the April 15th Voice mail upgrade in 2011, or was the voicemail 2.0 upgrade in March 15, 2012? If you received the voicemail 2.0 upgrade in March 15, 2012, Ooma may be able to track this and sometimes they will make things right, if they think that the Voicemail upgrade caused your problem. If it were me I'd send a personnel E-mail to Ooma Moderator Bobby B., see page memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53 for the E-mail address. Explain that this happened just a day or two or three days ago, and you think it was the voicemail 2.0 upgrade that caused the problem.

zten

Post by zten » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm

thunderbird wrote:
zten wrote:So tell me more about the VM upgrade? My second ooma died about 10 days ago, and it was some short period of time after I responded to the email saying "upgrade your VM by the 15th to ensure a smooth transition". I did that and it was some number of hours later that my box was observed bricked.

It only turned on to the L1 and L2 lights.

Once I got the new Telo, I first just swapped out the power supply to see if that was it. It was not.

If I am stuck at the L1 and L2, is it possible this was due to the MARCH 15 VM upgrade?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 pm

zten wrote: It only turned on to the L1 and L2 lights.

Once I got the new Telo, I first just swapped out the power supply to see if that was it. It was not.
Did you try booting teh Ooma device without anything connected except the power cord? If it goes past the blue L1 & l2 lights, then there is a chance.
zten wrote: If I am stuck at the L1 and L2, is it possible this was due to the MARCH 15 VM upgrade?
It could be possible, but you need to contact Ooma and find out from them for sure.

FX4

Post by FX4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

There really should be a way to recover corrupt firmware on these device. Maybe they need to put a boot P client on the device? I can't boot so I'll start asking for new firmware. Many devices do this. Ooma should include it as part of the build. Or maybe Ooma needs to offer a firmware reflash service for ten or twenty dollars?