DirecTivo Modem Calls Failing even with *99

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
remaker
DirecTivo Modem Calls Failing even with *99

Post by remaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:20 am

I have an old DirecTiVo attached to an Ooma Telo.

Tragically, it still needs to make modem calls. They don't need to be fast, they just need to work.

I have set the Ooma direct to the cable modem. I have Comcast Teleworker service with about 10ms delay to the comcast speed test and 35M down 10M up. Pingtest should about 5ms jitter, no packet loss.

I dial with *99, and it cannot connect. When I monitor the line, I head the *99 dialed and hear the secondary dial tone and hear the modem train. It gets stuck in a training phase and never completes the training.

I have tried slowing the modem down with the ,#019, modem code on the TiVo to use a slower protocol on the phone line, but that did not help.

The TiVo did work on a genuine landline.

What else can I do to make a modem work? I have also tried *98, and no luck. I did a factory reset of the Telo with *#*#099. Is the Telo expected to be able to work with a modem at all? Seems like most of the reported success us using the Ooma hub.

Also, I am calling the (408) based dial in numbers. If there are other dial in area codes closer to the Ooma head ends, I can select those instead. Is any area code better than any others for dial in to TiVo?

thunderbird

Re: DirecTivo Modem Calls Failing even with *99

Post by thunderbird » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:45 am

remaker wrote:I have an old DirecTiVo attached to an Ooma Telo.

Tragically, it still needs to make modem calls. They don't need to be fast, they just need to work.

I have set the Ooma direct to the cable modem. I have Comcast Teleworker service with about 10ms delay to the comcast speed test and 35M down 10M up. Pingtest should about 5ms jitter, no packet loss.

I dial with *99, and it cannot connect. When I monitor the line, I head the *99 dialed and hear the secondary dial tone and hear the modem train. It gets stuck in a training phase and never completes the training.

I have tried slowing the modem down with the ,#019, modem code on the TiVo to use a slower protocol on the phone line, but that did not help.

The TiVo did work on a genuine landline.

What else can I do to make a modem work? I have also tried *98, and no luck. I did a factory reset of the Telo with *#*#099. Is the Telo expected to be able to work with a modem at all? Seems like most of the reported success us using the Ooma hub.

Also, I am calling the (408) based dial in numbers. If there are other dial in area codes closer to the Ooma head ends, I can select those instead. Is any area code better than any others for dial in to TiVo?
If you have an Ooma Telo, try *98 or *96.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

If dialing without a prefix doesn't work, *96 doesn't work, *98 doesn't work and *99 doesn't work, then you might be out of luck were the Tivo modem is concerned. Decision time. Tivo upgrade, basic POTS line just for the Tivo (some people do it for alarm systems they can't get to function with Oooma) or ?
All depends on your needs and priorities.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

remaker

Post by remaker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm using *99 and *98 to no avail. *96 will never work with a modem.

I do have pretty wide jitter from speedtest.phonepower.com, so I am trying to see if the ISP will address it for me. I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, I may accelerate my switch to an HD TiVO :-)

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:03 am

There you go. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0