Connecting Ooma to FAX

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: Connecting Ooma to FAX

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm

araknis wrote:I wanted to try *98 as per the suggestions, but I just get a fast busy signal after dialing *98. Any ideas?
*98 doesn't work on Hub; works on Telo.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 am

araknis wrote:*99 used to work for me, but I've been having problems after I moved down the street (same modem/router/fax machine/cable internet service). I wanted to try *98 as per the suggestions, but I just get a fast busy signal after dialing *98. Any ideas?
*98 only works with a Telo.
It is not supported on a hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

araknis

Post by araknis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm

thanks for the fast response guys. guess I'll just have to set my fax machine to a few retries.

tommyarnold

Post by tommyarnold » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:09 am

Is it possible to attempt faxing from a computer using a computer modem? Can the modem I use for land line faxing be connected for foip use? If so, how do I set it up?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

tommyarnold wrote:Is it possible to attempt faxing from a computer using a computer modem? Can the modem I use for land line faxing be connected for foip use? If so, how do I set it up?
Plug the modem directly into your Ooma. You can use one of these duplex splitters to share the Ooma dialtone with your phone. When dialing out using modem, use *99 prefix.

utalice

Post by utalice » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 am

I have an Ooma Telo and have connected my fax, wired to a splitter. My phone line goes from my Telo to a wall jack, then splits to the telephone and the fax machine.

I dialed *98 *82 1+0000000000 (0's indicate the phone number) to test my fax machine at HP's fax testing number (although I don't have an HP fax) and it worked fine. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =4965&dlc=

*98 (mentioned in the previous posts) and then *82 to unblock my number, which is required in order to test at HP. Unless the receivers fax system requires you to unblock your number (if it's blocked), you won't need to use this.

It's convenient to use the HP system to test your fax settings to see if they're working. HP will send you a reply fax to let you know they received yours.

It would be nice if Ooma would have a test number as HP does to allow us to test our faxes to make sure it's working ...maybe your Fax manufacturer has a test number as HP does? If not, then I would try this one.

Good luck.

RJCFlorida

Post by RJCFlorida » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

If you have a piece of medical equipment, not life saving but just sending readings from weight and blood pressure machines and heart beats to company. The communicator works just like a fax machine except the number is programmed inside and dials automatically but they are not able to add the * 98 or * 99 because they arent able in the hard drive to add that feature. I called the company before getting OOMA and am told they have over 100 almost 200 people who use their communicator with a OOMA telo successfully but not the hubs, they dont work. So I buy the OOMA telo and set up and call tech support as the company said I had to tell them to force fax mode and they gave me a ref # that was told by OOMA to their company to refer to for future customers. I wont bore you with the over and over being told no this wont work and not sure why if hundreds do this why cant I. Anyway today the company talk to tier 2 support with me as a 3rd party in the conversation. They said faxes dont work with ooma and well he had as much of a hard time as I did trying to give the reference that no one wanted anyway. So they did something now my machine can now send the once a week health report. However now the phone doesnt work as a phone. I was told there would be an audio problem if they did the fax thing on their end. The communicator company told me no one else lost audio. So I cant make phone calls now. Not sure if I should return OOMA as I have 15 days to do so from store policy and asking ahead if I could if this didnt work. I am using cable internet and dont know why I want to send a medical report once a week and not have a telephone or get vonage or something else. The company did say vonage works with their customers also but he swore he had lots of OOMA users doing their readings no problems. I need to have a phone but need faxing capabilities for the communicator. All this was suppose to work with a force fax mode g something 7. Anyone ideas or advice would be appreciated.

RJCFlorida

Post by RJCFlorida » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 pm

OH I forgot tech support said oct 7th they changed something that no longer allows faxes, dont know if this was an excuse or true or what to believe.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm

RJCFlorida:
For testing, try dialing *98 or *96 before the number that you want to dial out with. Example: *96-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx . (This won't help with the call quality when someone calls you). Calling out with *98 or *96 changes the codec, and if it works, you will know that probably Ooma changed your Ooma profile setting to use *99, the fax mode.

Please report back and let us know it you have any luck dialing *98 or *96 before the number.

RJCFlorida

Post by RJCFlorida » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Thunderbird, the device auto dials and I cant add *98 or * anything. The company says they have it in the hard drive to dial and can not change the dial to them on devices, they worked with OOMA in the past for a force fax and their customers are successful. I just bought the OOMA and the support staff after 3 days of going back and forth did the force fax but now the phone wont work, I can dial but no one can hear any voice coming from my phone. The fact that I cant turn on or off the fax part or dial myself makes me dependent on OOMA settings and for a once a week transmission seems like a waste of a OOMA. Not sure if I should purchase vonage or just find a landline to go with. I thought the OOMA would be just perfect for us but it isnt exactly working out that way . The support staff says something with faxes was just changed oct 7, 2012 so who knows what it was like before that. I just dont understand why some customers with the same medical device have success and I was even told that the audio is better quality with this force fax mode, and here I get no audio with it at all.