Port From Cox -- Can't Receive Calls From Cox Customers

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gouldaz
Port From Cox -- Can't Receive Calls From Cox Customers

Post by gouldaz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm going to go crazy with this problem.

I ported from Cox Commun. a month ago and have not been able to receive any calls from Cox customers. They get message that my phone number is not in service. I know about having your old provider remove your # from your old provider's directory. I've called Cox 3 separate times and talked to some very knowledgeable folks. They all say there is no trace of my phone number anywhere in Cox systems. Cox even went into this common phone # system these companies (including Ooma) all use to find phone #'s, and Cox is not allwed to even see my number because its taken. Ooma CSR calls me from Ooma's phones and assume my phone is fine because it rings. Thats not the problem!! The problem is with Cox customers. I call Ooma and they say its Cox's problem. I Call Cox and they say it's Ooma's problem. Long story short, I just want it fixed and don't know where to turn. This problem sucks because it seems like 1/2 of Phoenix uses Cox for phone!

Ive tried reset of all hardware (including hub). No success.

Any suggestions?

Groundhound

Re: Port From Cox -- Can't Receive Calls From Cox Customers

Post by Groundhound » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:51 pm

So what happens when someone from a non-Cox, non-Ooma phone calls you? If it connects then it sounds like a Cox problem, if not then it sounds like an Ooma problem.

gouldaz

Post by gouldaz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:07 pm

People that arent cox can call me just fine. I agree, it almost does sound like a Cox issue. But like I said, I've called Cox's CSR's a few times now and even talked to their higher level technicians and they say there's no trace of my phone number anywhere in their system. They even look in "elumenet", which is a standard phone # system and they cant even view my phone #. So I'm stuck with both phone companies telling me its the other's fault.

Was just curious if anybody has ever experienced this before and solved it? I know there's lots of vonage customers that have, but my phone # being in Cox's system does not seem to be the problem.

ceandy

Post by ceandy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:03 pm

My brother and I live in Gilbert, when we switched over from Cox earlier this year we had the opposite problem, only Cox customers could not reach us. When the porting started there were two days when both Cox and Ooma had our numbers. When Cox released the number Cox customers could reach us.

mofares

Post by mofares » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:30 pm

How long did it take to port a number from Cox? I am still waiting...

gouldaz

Post by gouldaz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am

mofares wrote:How long did it take to port a number from Cox? I am still waiting...
Took 3-4 weeks. Can't remember exactly.

AlpineFlour

Post by AlpineFlour » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I have this same problem. I ported my Cox telephone number to Ooma. But now anyone who has Cox telephone service gets a message that my phone number has been disconnected with no new number. Non Cox telephones can call with no problems, AND even Cox telephone subscribers can call the new phone number I was provided by Ooma without any problem -- they just can't call my longtime phone number which I had ported from Cox.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 pm

AlpineFlour wrote:I have this same problem. I ported my Cox telephone number to Ooma. But now anyone who has Cox telephone service gets a message that my phone number has been disconnected with no new number. Non Cox telephones can call with no problems, AND even Cox telephone subscribers can call the new phone number I was provided by Ooma without any problem -- they just can't call my longtime phone number which I had ported from Cox.
Cox has a data base, a routing table that has your ported number is not configured properly, missing, or needs to be removed. Approach this problem from two directions. First have one or more of the Cox callers that can't reach your ported number to contact Cox and complain that they can't reach a known working number (your Ooma ported number).

Next also contact Ooma customer support for this problem:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

dave92127

Post by dave92127 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Has anyone had any success resolving this? I have the same problem. Ooma help was useless. I haven't tried anything with Cox.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:26 pm

If Cox customers can't reach you, the problem is within Cox. Call Cox and tell them your working number that ported away from Cox can't be reached by Cox customers.