Can't use internet (wired or wireless) during an Ooma call

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
marcel
Re: Can't use internet (wired or wireless) during an Ooma call

Post by marcel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 pm

thunderbird wrote:marcel:
What is the Brand Name and model number of your Modem/Router?

2WIRE 3600HGV from AT&T

Download Speed: 5353 kbps
Upload Speed: 740 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 68%
Upload Consistency of Service 34%
Maximum TCP Delay 202 ms
Jitter you server 0.2 ms
Jitter server you 1.2ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 1.2%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 1.0
Thank you!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 pm

thunderbird wrote:marcel:
What is the Brand Name and model number of your Modem/Router?
marcel wrote: 2WIRE 3600HGV from AT&T

Download Speed: 5353 kbps
Upload Speed: 740 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 68%
Upload Consistency of Service 34%
Maximum TCP Delay 202 ms
Jitter you server 0.2 ms
Jitter server you 1.2ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 1.2%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 1.0
Download Consistency of Service 68%........Is usually around 80% or more
Upload Consistency of Service 34%...........Is usually around 80% or more
Maximum TCP Delay 202 ms...................Should be 100ms or less
Packet loss: server you 1.2%..................Should be Zero
Estimated MOS score 1.0......................Is usually 4 or more

There is something going on with your Modem or the Internet signal coming into your home.

First try removing power from your Modem, then repower your Modem. Then run Phonepower Speedtest again and see if the numbers improve.
Download and Upload Consistency of Service should be around 80%. Maximum TCP Delay should be 100ms or less.
Packet loss, Packet discards and Packets out of order MUST be Zero.
Estimated MOS score should be 4 or more.

If there still isn't improvemet by rebooting your Modem, check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a Modem reset procedure. If so, do a Modem rest per the owner manual. Then test again.

If there isn't improvement by reseting your Modem, if you are renting the Modem, get another serviceable modem from the Internet provider, or borrow, or purchase another Modem and then test again.

If there still isn't improvement, contact your Internet provider and have them improve the Internet signal coming into your home.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Could be the modem. Bell Canada uses 2Wire 2701 modems for new customers and those unaware of what they are in for when they upgrade. I realize this is not the same model you have, but I'm very unimpressed by this modem/router in general. Just go to their site and do a speed test. You'll see how inaccurate their test is. I mean come on, what the hell is that? It speaks volumes about what kind of services and product they are offering.

Its firmware (for Bell Canada anyway) is really restrictive and just plain incompatible with some ethernet enabled HP Color Laser office printers. Best results were obtained by disabling all firewall capabilities of this modem router and just used it to pass internet connection to a Cisco Linksys router with SPI firewall and proper routing/QoS capabilities. I may have used a DMZ on the 2Wire router, but I can't remember for sure, it was not mine and I set it up several months ago.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

marcel

Post by marcel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Hello everyone and thanks for the hints.

AT&T came out, the line and modems tested OK and somehow the packet loss disappeared but I'm having the same problems. Of course AT&T blames by Telo but is there any way to test a swap without having to buy one?

I also noticed that YouTube is erratic (videos stop all the time), with or without making an Ooma call.

I also tried to connect the house internet through the Telo (modem -> Telo -> computer) and still the same problem.

Thanks....

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 pm

marcel wrote:Hello everyone and thanks for the hints.

AT&T came out, the line and modems tested OK and somehow the packet loss disappeared but I'm having the same problems. Of course AT&T blames by Telo but is there any way to test a swap without having to buy one?

I also noticed that YouTube is erratic (videos stop all the time), with or without making an Ooma call.

I also tried to connect the house internet through the Telo (modem -> Telo -> computer) and still the same problem.

Thanks....
I'm not sure what they meant when they told you the line and modem tested "OK". The packet loss was not your only issue with the internet connection. Is YouTube erratic if the Telo is disconnected from your network? Could you post you current stats from Phonepower now that AT&T has been out and you've noticed some improvement?

http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

Have you tried taking your Telo to a friend or relative's house to test on their internet connection? As long as they have at least 340 kbps up/down, then you should be able to see if the issue is related to your Telo or the internet at your house. If it turns out to be the Telo, you might be able to get a replacement if you're just a few days out of warranty or you might be able to purchase the extended warranty if your Telo hasn't been out warrenty for too many days.

If you have a Costco membership, you could order a new one from them. If it turns out the new one still has the issue, they won't give you a problem with returning it to one of their warehouse stores. If not then you've got a new Telo and you purchased it from a good retailer that will stand behind the product you purchased from them. If you didn't go for the extended warranty from Ooma this time around, I'd strongly recommend it next time.

Also, if you connect the internet through the Telo (e.g. Modem>Telo>Computer) you need to set the QoS settings correctly in the Telo. Since you have a Modem/Router combo, you need to set both the download and upload QoS settings in the Telo to zero. If your friend or relative just has a modem and not a modem/router combo, then you should set the Telo QoS download to 0 and the upload to 80% of the recorded download speed. To find out what that is, use the phonepower test on their internet connection. Multiply the upload result by .8 to get the value that should be entered. For example, if you just had a modem and not the modem/router combo that you do have, then you would enter 592 in the upload QoS field on your Telo, since your measured upload speed on phonepower was 740 kbps. Since you do have a modem/router combo, at your house the setting should be 0 for both upload and download. You should have QoS setup in the router, but I don't know if your 2Wire modem/router has that function. The Bell Canada 2701 firmware does not. That's why, if it turns out the issue is not your Telo, then it may be the fact that your 2Wire modem/router is not allowing you to control the amount of data the Telo uses during a call. With a relatively slow upload speed like you have (me too in fact), it will be important to voice quality that you have a router with QoS capability. This is why I recommeded setting up the 2Wire as a gateway (essentially bypassing its firewall and routing capabilies) and adding a Cisco router after the 2Wire. You configure the QoS settings in the Cisco router and connect the Telo to it.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm

marcel wrote:Hello everyone and thanks for the hints.

Thanks....
When you take the Ooma Telo out of the picture (disconnected and unpowered), connecting only Modem/Router-Router, do you still have problems (YouTube, etc.)? Run Phonepower Speed test while connected Modem/Router-Router, and see if you get good numbers while doing YouTube Videos). I still wonder if your Modem/Router is defective. The Modem/Router may be intermittent, working only when the Internet load in your area is low. If you rent your Modem/Router and AT&T owns the Modem/Router, I'd make them give you a replacement Modem/Router.

See topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13582

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 am

I second the idea of a replacement modem. I went through this a few years ago with AT&T and of course when they tested, everything was running fine (at least that's what they told me). I replaced the modem my self and that fixed it. Never had the issues again.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member