Incoming caller can't hear & I can't hear

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
majohnson4350
Incoming caller can't hear & I can't hear

Post by majohnson4350 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 am

This has happened twice within 2 months. Phone rings and we answer but can't hear the caller and they can't hear us. Didn't know what to do so I unplugged my Ooma unit and plugged it back in. Went through warm-up and phone worked again. First time a fluke but now twice is a problem. Anyone else have this or know what to do?

Thanks,

Mark

lbmofo

Re: Incoming caller can't hear & I can't hear

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 am

Instead of repowering Ooma, have you tried dialing the person back?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:31 am

majohnson4350 wrote:This has happened twice within 2 months. Phone rings and we answer but can't hear the caller and they can't hear us. Didn't know what to do so I unplugged my Ooma unit and plugged it back in. Went through warm-up and phone worked again. First time a fluke but now twice is a problem. Anyone else have this or know what to do?

Thanks,

Mark
If this happens again, don't remove power from the Ooma Telo. First try removing power from the Modem, then repower the Modem. Then test.

If voice isn't restored, then reboot the Ooma Telo.

wkamm

Post by wkamm » Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

The same thing happened to me today. I called home (Ooma) from my cell phone. My wife answered the phone. I couldn't hear her and she couldn't hear me. Later she found that she had no dial tone, although the lights on the Ooma device looked fine. She reset the Ooma by unplugging it and powering it on again. The first test call we made was good for about 10 seconds, then we both heard loud screeching sounds like they were under water. The second test call was OK.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 am

wkamm wrote:The same thing happened to me today. I called home (Ooma) from my cell phone. My wife answered the phone. I couldn't hear her and she couldn't hear me. Later she found that she had no dial tone, although the lights on the Ooma device looked fine. She reset the Ooma by unplugging it and powering it on again. The first test call we made was good for about 10 seconds, then we both heard loud screeching sounds like they were under water. The second test call was OK.
If this happens again, reboot both the Modem and Ooma device.

Please report in this forum if this works or don't work.

Something else to try if you have time and feel like experimenting a little:
The Ooma devices are 100 MZ full-duplex devices. Sometimes, for various reasons, the home LAN will switch between Full-duplex and Half-duplex. This switching can cause an unstable condition, which causes all sorts of Ooma phone system problems.

Please try the following procedure. It is not tried and true, and may not work with all installations and equipment, but it has promise and won't hurt.

Attempt to Force the Modem to use 100 MB Full-Duplex: (written for Windows XP, other Microsoft operating systems procedures are similar).
Use a computer that is normally connected to your homes LAN with a network cable, (Not connected using Wi-Fi).
In the computer, access My Network Places by right clicking on the My network Places Icon. Then go down and click on Properties. This same window can be opened by accessing Network Places in the Control Panel folder.
Next right click on the (enabled) Local Area Connection Properties Icon.
In the window that opens, with the General tab selected, under Connect Using: click on the Configure button. In the window that opens, Click on the Advanced tab. Highlight Speed/Duplex settings or Link Speed/Duplex Mode (different LAN cards have slightly different wording). At the right under Value: select 100 Mb Full Duplex or 100 Full Mode (different LAN cards have slightly different wording). Go to the bottom of the window and click on the OK button. Close any other open windows.
Open Internet Explorer and make sure you can access a site like Google. Next make and receive test phone calls to see if this procedure helps.

If this doesn't work, set up 100 MZ Full-duplex in all of your computers that are connected to your LAN, using wired network cables. Then test again.

Please report in this forum if this procedure helps or don't help.