2nd line/number (Premier) porting number to 2nd line

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
slr001
2nd line/number (Premier) porting number to 2nd line

Post by slr001 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Hey folks, another new Callvantage refuge.

I am going with the Premier package to add a 2nd number. I want my main number (on the Hub) to be a new number. I want the 2nd number (on the Scout) to be ported over.

Anything special I have to do to accomplish this? I have activate the Hub and received a number, have blue lights on both units and can place and receive calls. I have added the Scout, but have not added a number to it.

I am assuming when I do that I can choose to take a new temporary number, then port my old number over?

Thanks for any insight.

jtykal

Re: 2nd line/number (Premier) porting number to 2nd line

Post by jtykal » Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 pm

You've got it. Piece of cake.

slr001

Post by slr001 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 pm

Well, I added my 2nd line to the Scout. I don't see any way to port to the 2nd line.

You can port 2 numbers, that will replace both the Hub and Scout numbers. But I don't see any way to port a number to the Scout and leave the Hub (main number) untouched.

I emailed support, I guess I will find out how responsive they are.

Thanks

mjv5864

Post by mjv5864 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:54 am

I wanted the same setup and made sure to note it on the LOA form as well as verbally to CS.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed May 13, 2009 7:26 am

SLR001 - If you want response do not email. CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
888-711-6662

This is the very best way to get what you need. Email is not.

Wayne

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 am

Maybe I'm confused by what you want to do, but you can assign either of your 2 numbers to the hub or to the scout or leave one or both unassigned and they're shared by all devices. It doesn't matter if your numbers are ported or selected from ooma.

slr001

Post by slr001 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am

WayneDsr wrote:SLR001 - If you want response do not email. CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
888-711-6662

This is the very best way to get what you need. Email is not.

Wayne
Wayne,

Thanks for the advise. But support responded to me this morning. Told me to kick off the porting process. Then to contact the provisioning people with my request details.

I would have called them if I didn't get a response. I am just busy and like an email trail if possible.

So the good news is I got a quick response. Now we will see if the provisioning folks can handle the request.

slr001

Post by slr001 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 am

bw1 wrote:Maybe I'm confused by what you want to do, but you can assign either of your 2 numbers to the hub or to the scout or leave one or both unassigned and they're shared by all devices. It doesn't matter if your numbers are ported or selected from ooma.
bw1,

I thought this would be possible also. I figured if they messed the port up I would just flip the numbers around.

But I couldn't do it when I tried last night. I was able to move the Scout number up to the Hub as a shared number. But it wouldn't let me move the Hum (main) number down to the Scout.

It gave me an error message. I don't remember the actual error message. But just assumed the main number had to stay with the Hub.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed May 13, 2009 10:57 am

If things fail ooma support can easily swap the numbers for you while you are still on the phone with them. As WayneDSR said, email is not as reliable with ooma as a phone call, even though you loose the physical papertrail, you can still take down names should there be a problem.

I am also a believer in keeping good papertrail, but with ooma, I don't think you will need it. Nice folks, eager to help.

Welcome to the ooma family!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jtykal

Post by jtykal » Wed May 13, 2009 1:06 pm

It's not that the main number needs to stay on the hub, but the main number does need to stay on a "shared device". I was able to move my hub out of shared devices and put my secondary number on it. I kept a scout in shared devices with my main number. Incidentally, if you have 2 numbers it doesn't really matter which one you make private and which one you keep "shared" -- they're both effectively private and will ring only on their respective device.