can I use the answering system on my non-ooma phone

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
can I use the answering system on my non-ooma phone

Post by 3523083119 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:04 am

I would like to use the answering system on my non-Ooma phone in the kitchen instead of the Ooma telo box

lbmofo

Re: can I use the answering system on my non-ooma phone

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 am

Just set the voicemail pick-up time to max (59 seconds) so that your answering machine would pick up first.

https://my.ooma.com/voicemail

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed May 23, 2012 6:18 am

Of course, the answer is yes... just do as lbmofo has suggested. However, my question is WHY? The Ooma system is far superior to most others. It is certainly more versatile. For example, I have set up a separate VM on my smartphone. All incoming messages on my Ooma system(s) are forwarded to that email address as an MP3. Thus, I can receive my VM on my smartphone within seconds after the caller has left the message without needing to call in to retrieve those messages. This email address also serves as an archive of all messages that have been left for me.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 23, 2012 7:29 am

oomg is right. Even if you are a basic subscriber, you dont' have vm forward or vm notification but you can still access your VM from anywhere via calling your own number or the web.