Telo working but hub's web server not responding

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
abqbill
Telo working but hub's web server not responding

Post by abqbill » Sat May 26, 2012 7:18 pm

I have my Telo configured on my internal network using the wi-fi adapter. I set a DHCP reservation on my wi-fi access point so the wi-fi adapter on the Telo always gets a specific IP address. Making and receiving calls work fine.

The problem is that after a while the Telo's web server stops responding. The Telo's lights are the normal status blue and I can make and receive calls without any problems. I just can't connect to the Telo's web server until after I power-cycle the hub. After power-cycling, I can connect to the Telo's web server without any problems. After a while, the web server stops responding again.

After the web server stops responding, the Telo's lights stay normal status (blue) and I can make and receive calls without problems; I just cannot connect to the Telo's web server -- in fact, I can't ping the wi-fi adapter's IP address either. The web server (and ping) work without any problems after a power-cycle.

Is this a known problem?

Thanks,

Bill
Last edited by abqbill on Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abqbill

Re: Telo working but Telo's web server not responding

Post by abqbill » Sat May 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Well--this is interesting.

I just tried connecting to the Telo's web server (I have not power-cycled the Telo) and it's responding again. The DHCP server lease is set to 8 hours. My guess is that the Telo's wireless interface renewed its DHCP lease, and I can connect to it again. My guess is that it corrects itself after renewing its DHCP lease. I'm going to reduce the DHCP lease time and see if this has any affect on this specific problem.

Bill
Last edited by abqbill on Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Re: Telo hub working but hub's web server not responding

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Telo is black and Hub is white. I am thinking you are talking about the Telo. I am also thinking Telo "web server" means the "Home Network" port? I think you are on the right track...via DHCP, get a reserved IP for your Telo's modem port.

abqbill

Re: Telo working but Telo's web server not responding

Post by abqbill » Sat May 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Correct; sorry, I meant the Telo, not Ooma hub. (Amended subject line and posts, above.)

I'm not sure what your comment means. No; web server does not mean "home network" port. My Telo is not connected to my home network via a wired Ethernet connection but rather by the Telo's wireless adapter. This works without problems.

By web server: I mean that when you use a browser to connect to the Telo's IP address, you see a configuration page. That configuration page is displayed by the web server program that's running on the Telo device. To access the Telo's web configuration page over wi-fi, one must select the "Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port" setting in the "Advanced" section of the Ooma configuration. This is what I'm talking about.

My problem is that the Telo wireless network adapter stops responding to pings (and I cannot access the Telo web configuration page) after some period of time. My guess at this point is that this period of time is related to my wireless access point's DHCP renewal interval. I have reduced the lease time for the Telo's wireless adapter's MAC address to see if this resolves the problem.

Does anyone know: What is the recommended DHCP lease time for the Telo's wireless adapter?

Bill

lbmofo

Re: Telo working but hub's web server not responding

Post by lbmofo » Sat May 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Got you. You sometimes can't get to the ooma setup page.

I'd recommend going into your Ooma setup page (when you can get to it) and within the advanced section, setup a port 80 forward rule to 172.27.35.1 (fail safe way).

Then, in your router, setup a DHCP reservation for your Ooma (via your wifi adapter's MAC). For example, I'd give mine 192.168.0.199. This lease never expires.

Then I just get to the ooma setup page via http://192.168.0.199

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But port forwarding will not be effective in the case when you can't even ping the wireless interface in the first place, which is what's happening here. Also, the port doesn't need to be forwarded as I can already access the Telo's web server (the Ooma setup page, as you say).

What I'm saying is that the Telo's wireless adapter stops communicating on my wi-fi network, but this doesn't affect making or receiving calls.

My first troubleshooting step is to reduce my wireless access point's DHCP lease time for the Ooma's wireless adapter to see if this has any effect on the problem.

Bill

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 am

abqbill wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But port forwarding will not be effective in the case when you can't even ping the wireless interface in the first place, which is what's happening here. Also, the port doesn't need to be forwarded as I can already access the Telo's web server (the Ooma setup page, as you say).

What I'm saying is that the Telo's wireless adapter stops communicating on my wi-fi network, but this doesn't affect making or receiving calls.

My first troubleshooting step is to reduce my wireless access point's DHCP lease time for the Ooma's wireless adapter to see if this has any effect on the problem.

Bill
Do you have the Telo connected wireless AND wired at the same time to your router?

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 am

Hi,

My Telo is wireless only. I just tried again this morning, and again, I can't ping the Telo's wireless IP address or access the Telo's web server (the Telo's setup page). Making and receiving calls works fine. I just can't ping the wireless adapter's IP address or access the Telo's web server (setup page).

Bill

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 am

abqbill wrote:Hi,
My Telo is wireless only. I just tried again this morning, and again, I can't ping the Telo's wireless IP address or access the Telo's web server (the Telo's setup page). Making and receiving calls works fine. I just can't ping the wireless adapter's IP address or access the Telo's web server (setup page).
Bill
Lately the Ooma Setup Advanced page "Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port" function has not been reliable.

Set up Port Forwarding in the Ooma Setup Advanced page as lbmofo suggested previously in this thread.

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Sun May 27, 2012 6:38 am

Hmm...

Once again, after repeated attempts to ping the Telo wireless IP address and access the Telo's web server (the Ooma Telo Setup page), it has started responding again and I can once again access it. I have not reset or power-cycled either my wireless access point or my Telo device.

Bill