cant get to set up

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
chriscu
cant get to set up

Post by chriscu » Sun May 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Have telo plugged in to phone,power and computer, can't navigate to setup.ooma.com and the 172.27.35.1 that phone support (what a joke!) gave me. Anyone have any help for me?

thunderbird

Re: cant get to set up

Post by thunderbird » Sun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm

chriscu wrote:Have telo plugged in to phone,power and computer, can't navigate to setup.ooma.com and the 172.27.35.1 that phone support (what a joke!) gave me. Anyone have any help for me?
With a connection Modem-Ooma-Router, type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window, and the Ooma Setup pages should open.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the Computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window, and the Ooma Setup pages should open.

Some times if you have virus or firewall security installed on the computer, you may have to temporarily disable the virus and/or firwall security software.

If the computer was using static IP addresses before this connection, you may have to go into the computer and return the settings to automatic.

chriscu

Post by chriscu » Sun May 27, 2012 4:00 pm

I turned off my wi-fi, restarted, turned off my anti-virus, still no luck. I type in the 172.27.35.1 and all I get is that it's not found and gives me search results. This thing is going to get about ten more minutes of my time and it's going back to Costco!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun May 27, 2012 4:57 pm

chriscu wrote:I turned off my wi-fi, restarted, turned off my anti-virus, still no luck. I type in the 172.27.35.1 and all I get is that it's not found and gives me search results. This thing is going to get about ten more minutes of my time and it's going back to Costco!
Are you adding the http:// along with the 172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window? Example http://172.27.35.1

For Microsoft operating system computer:
Temporarily connect a computer's wired LAN port, to the Home port of the Ooma device using a network cable. If the computer is using Wi-Fi, temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Reboot the computer.
Go to the computer Start menu, click on Run. Type cmd in the blank following the word Open: and click on Ok. A dos window opens. to the right of C:\ and what ever else you see, enter the word ipconfig
The defualt gateway should say 172.27.35.1

If not you may have a static IP address setup in your computer which won't allow it to accept the IP address from the Ooma Telo home port. If so the computer network Local Area Connection setting should be set to Automatic. If you don't know how to do this, I can provide more instructions.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:12 am

chriscu wrote:I turned off my wi-fi, restarted, turned off my anti-virus, still no luck. I type in the 172.27.35.1 and all I get is that it's not found and gives me search results. This thing is going to get about ten more minutes of my time and it's going back to Costco!
What seems to be the problem? Can you make calls with your Ooma? Why the urgency in getting to the setup page?

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:41 am

chriscu wrote:Have telo plugged in to phone,power and computer, can't navigate to setup.ooma.com and the 172.27.35.1 that phone support (what a joke!) gave me. Anyone have any help for me?
To me it is unclear on exactly what your configuration is. You say you have the Telo plugged into phone, power and computer.
That doesn't explain your config. Let the forum know how the Telo is connected (modem, Telo, router or modem, router, Telo) and the very knowedgable posters on this forum should be able to help you.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Don't even know if chriscu activated Ooma online or not.
Although Ooma is simple to setup, at least some time is needed. 15 minutes of your time to save hundreds a year isn't much I don't think.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 28, 2012 3:38 pm

lbmofo wrote:
Don't even know if chriscu activated Ooma online or not.
Although Ooma is simple to setup, at least some time is needed. 15 minutes of your time to save hundreds a year isn't much I don't think.
Yah, maybe he was trying to go to My Ooma? https://my.ooma.com/home/login

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 28, 2012 3:51 pm

If Ooma wasnt even activated online, that means Quick Start Guide wasn't even looked at... Hard to believe.... I know people don't have time but...Really?!

chriscu

Post by chriscu » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am

I did activate on line and do have a phone # and yes it does work if I plug it in, but I want to use it wirelessly. I did all of Thuderbirds steps, the number I got was a 192 # not a 172. Not sure if this helps anyone to help me. I really, really want it to work, but having the ooma in the same place as my computer is not what I'm looking for, for a number of reasons. I don't know if I have a static ip address, not that computer literate as you can probably tell! Thanks for all of your help!