Telo working but hub's web server not responding

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
abqbill
Re: Telo working but hub's web server not responding

Post by abqbill » Sun May 27, 2012 6:43 am

Hi,

How will forwarding TCP port 80 help when you can't ping the interface? Nonetheless I have tried it as suggested.

Bill

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm

If you setup a port 80 forward rule to 172.27.35.1 in your Ooma and assign a static IP (still DHCP) to your Ooma wifi adapter, you would always be able to get to your setup page.

Non ping response of your wifi adapter's IP probably means you have the wrong IP. That's why DHCP reserve an IP for your adapter so you'd know what it is all the time.

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 am

lbmofo wrote:Non ping response of your wifi adapter's IP probably means you have the wrong IP.
My wireless access point has a DHCP reservation for the Telo's wireless adapter, so it always gets the same IP address. I reach the web server Telo setup page using that fixed (DHCP reserved) wireless IP address. What I am saying is that the wireless adapter's IP address stops responding to ping and I cannot access the Telo setup page over the wireless network. I tried the port forward but as I suspected it did not correct this specific problem.

The strange part is that if I keep trying to connect using ping and trying to access the Telo setup page, the wireless adapter mysteriously starts responding again. What I'm trying to find out is if this is a known issue.

Bill

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 am

Well, I've been trying intermittently, since my last post, to connect to the Telo web server (setup page) using the wireless adapter, which as I mentioned has a fixed IP address via a DHCP reservation. Still cannot ping or connect to the setup page. As before, making and receiving calls works fine. This is an interesting problem, to say the least.

Bill

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 28, 2012 9:26 am

abqbill:
Temporarily using a Network cable, connect a computer's wired LAN port the the Home Port of the Ooma device. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer.
Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer's browser window. The Ooma setup pages should open.

If the Ooma setup pages don't open, if using a Microsoft operating system, in the computer, click on Start, then Run. In the window that opens, in the blank following the word Open: type cmd and click OK. A dos window opens. To the right of the C:\ prompt and any data that is to the right of the C:\ prompt, type in ipconfig and hit enter. You should see the following:
IP Address......................172.27.35.xxx
Subnet Mask....................255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway..............172.27.35.1

If you don't see these things, do the following:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Then try accessing Ooma Setup again.

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi,

As I mentioned, there are no problems making or receiving calls; it's just that the Telo wireless adapter stops responding to ping and I cannot access the Telo setup page using the IP address of the wireless adapter. I will try a factory reset and see if this has any effect on this behavior.

Bill

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Mon May 28, 2012 2:10 pm

I factory reset the Telo device and reconfigured the wireless adapter's settings to connect to my wireless access point. I also made sure the wireless access point's firmware is up-to-date. The DHCP reservation is working -- this means the Telo wireless adapter is getting a specific IP address every time it connects to the wireless network. The Telo is connected via wireless only.

I will watch and see whether the Telo factory reset has any effect on this problem.

Bill

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Wed May 30, 2012 4:43 am

This problem seems to have been related to my wireless access point. There was a firmware update available for the access point. I installed the updated firmware, which required a hard reset and reconfiguration of the access point. After updating the access point's firmware, I no longer have problems reaching the Telo's web server setup page.

Bill

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 30, 2012 5:15 am

Probably not precisely the same issue but I used to have a similar heartburn using Netgear WN2000RPT http://amzn.com/B003VWZE7S

Even after updating to the latest firmware, although I tell the WN2000RPT not to enable DHCP, after a while, it would drift into DHCP enabled mode where it would assign connected devices its own IPs. Drove me nuts. I finally gave up and got rid of it.

abqbill

Post by abqbill » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, the issue was somewhat mysterious and intermittent until the firmware upgrade.

Two notes:

1. A port forward rule is not needed when you enable the "Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port" option in the advanced settings. Enabling the "Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port" option is all that is needed.

2. I recommend using a DHCP reservation for the Telo wireless adapter so it always gets the same IP address. You can find the MAC address of the Telo wireless adapter in the Telo setup pages in "Status."

Bill