Can not make outgoing calls - after changing ISP

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
thunderbird
Re: Can not make outgoing calls - after changing ISP

Post by thunderbird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 pm

ericute wrote:they actualy brought me a different modem the other day and unfortunately its still the same...i couldnt make outgoing calls..

the technician bridged the settings to my router and still the same problem...so i said i guess its not the modem then..you dont have to replace the modem since both modems cant fix the outgoing calls on my ooma hub...and luckily another technician came over to my house yesterday..and he told me i have to call my isp and ask for ip activation for my voip...my isp is globe tattoo broadband...its in the philippines...
Since you are using your Ooma Hub in the PI, are you using DSL.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload Internet speeds.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection and Internet Speeds are doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

ericute

Post by ericute » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 pm

may download speed is 2.36mb
upload is .80 kbps

i cant go to the link you gave me..it says unavailable...

i have a pretty good dsl connection... i just coudn't seem to make my outgoing calls work...my isp is telling me to get a static ip address...which is more money every month...and i told them with my old isp, i dont need a static ip to make my ooma hub work...so it is really frustrating..i cant make calls...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 pm

ericute wrote:may download speed is 2.36mb
upload is .80 kbps

i cant go to the link you gave me..it says unavailable...

i have a pretty good dsl connection... i just coudn't seem to make my outgoing calls work...my isp is telling me to get a static ip address...which is more money every month...and i told them with my old isp, i dont need a static ip to make my ooma hub work...so it is really frustrating..i cant make calls...
.80 kbps upload speed is way to slow for Ooma to operate properly. You need at least 265 kbps or more for Ooma to operate properly.

Try testing speed only with http://www.speedtest.net/ . If you can't access and make this site work, you know your Internet provider speeds are too low.

I tried the other link and it works fine, but if you have such a slow upload speed the other link won't work.

ericute

Post by ericute » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 pm

what i meant is 800kbps....

it is .80 mbps = 800kbps

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 am

ericute wrote:what i meant is 800kbps....

it is .80 mbps = 800kbps
Go to Ooma site http://ca.ooma.com/help-me . Click on the Test Your Speed tab. Go down to the traffic light and click on Begin Test. Post your results here in this thread.

ericute

Post by ericute » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:57 pm

DL speed 1377kbps

UL speed 512kbps

latency 187 milliseconds

jitter 13 milliseconds

packet loss 0%

on speedtest.net:
DL speed 2.01mbps
UL speed .81mbps
ping 74ms

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 am

ericute wrote:DL speed 1377kbps

UL speed 512kbps

latency 187 milliseconds

jitter 13 milliseconds

packet loss 0%

on speedtest.net:
DL speed 2.01mbps
UL speed .81mbps
ping 74ms
Your readings are a little rough, but still should work.

Temporarily try connecting Modem-Ooma-Router, or Modem-Ooma-Computer, and see if things improve.

The Router may be blocking your outbound signal? What is the brand name and model number of your Router.

glkdcpg

Post by glkdcpg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:32 pm

I too was unable to complete an outgoing call, this after changing ISP (also changed modem & router) but I was able to receive calls.

I attempted most solutions that were suggested in this and another similar thread, but nothing helped. At one point, Thunderbird suggested that if one could complete an out-going call only by first dialing "96 or *98, that the problem was with Ooma. I found this to be true. When I finally did call Ooma for help, the tech rep concluded that the problem was definitely on their side and that they would fix the problem by the next day. The tech rep called back a couple hour later, had me turn my Telo off, then back on, and I can once again make outgoing calls without first dialing *96/*98.

Now if I could only resolve the slight delay that often occurs during conversation, I'd be set.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

glkdcpg wrote:I too was unable to complete an outgoing call, this after changing ISP (also changed modem & router) but I was able to receive calls.

I attempted most solutions that were suggested in this and another similar thread, but nothing helped. At one point, Thunderbird suggested that if one could complete an out-going call only by first dialing "96 or *98, that the problem was with Ooma. I found this to be true. When I finally did call Ooma for help, the tech rep concluded that the problem was definitely on their side and that they would fix the problem by the next day. The tech rep called back a couple hour later, had me turn my Telo off, then back on, and I can once again make outgoing calls without first dialing *96/*98.

Now if I could only resolve the slight delay that often occurs during conversation, I'd be set.
For the delay problem you may be experiencing a Half-Duplex condition? When this happens, reboot or reset your Modem per your Modem manufacture's owner's manual.

Note: Some Modems contain a battery that has to be temporarily removed while doing the Modem reboot or reset. Also some Modems have settings where you can de-select Half-Duplex speeds and use only Full-duplex speed settings. Reference your Modem owner's hand book.

After the reboot or reset, immediately test making and receiving calls.

glkdcpg

Post by glkdcpg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 am

thunderbird wrote:
glkdcpg wrote:I too was unable to complete an outgoing call, this after changing ISP (also changed modem & router) but I was able to receive calls.

For the delay problem you may be experiencing a Half-Duplex condition? When this happens, reboot or reset your Modem per your Modem manufacture's owner's manual.

Note: Some Modems contain a battery that has to be temporarily removed while doing the Modem reboot or reset. Also some Modems have settings where you can de-select Half-Duplex speeds and use only Full-duplex speed settings. Reference your Modem owner's hand book.

After the reboot or reset, immediately test making and receiving calls.

I realize this issue is not the topic of this tread. Having said that, Thunderbird, thanks for suggesting possible solutions for the slight delay that occurs intermittently during phone conversations.

I rebooted my modem - given the intermittent nature of the delay problem, it is too soon to know if this is a fix - so far so good.

I am unable to find any way to configure the "full-duplex/half-duplex" speed settings so perhaps this is not an option with my modem (Motorola).

I very recently switched from DSL to Cable ISP, thought the increased speed might solve the delay issue, the jury is still out on this as well.

I also wondered if the hardware configuration could be a factor in this delay. I am configured: modem-router-Telo. Is it likely that re-configuring to modem-Telo-router (User Guide suggests this results in the best sound quality) would help with the delay issue (I am a bit uneasy about putting the Telo between the modem and router - when it comes to computing I know just enough to get myself in trouble ie intermediate grasp)?

Thanks in advance for any response.