Porting

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
littlekelli
Porting

Post by littlekelli » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:30 pm

I am in the process of porting my number from Caviler (Wind Stream). Has anyone ran into problems? Apparently, They have froze (put a hold ) my account, and won't let the porting go thru. Trying to figure out why? My only thought is this is a tactic to keep me. I tried to call, but of course, they are closed till Monday. I absolutely despise this company, any reasons why this would happen????? :(

I just want to get this over with, so I can cancel my service. So Far ooma is great! Look forward to the switch, and quality service!!!!

lbmofo

Re: Porting

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 pm

When you call, you'd probably find out that they put your account (for your own protection......yeah right) in some kind of "no port out" status to protect you from someone else porting your number out. When you call, this is when they'll use the opportunity to try to keep you (by giving you a better deal). You just need to tell them, you authorized the port so go ahead. But do not cancel your service; for porting to work, you need to keep your service active. If you don't want to put up with their retention efforts, politely tell them you are not interested. If they keep on pushing, you can tell them "I dont' think FCC allows what you guys are trying to do."

littlekelli

Post by littlekelli » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Okay,

Not sure if this is it.... but I found 2 possibilities.

1.)Phone Provider's PIN/Password Needed
We received a rejection from our porting carrier when trying to port your telephone number. We need some further information to continue with your port request. We will need your current phone provider account's PIN ID/password. If you do not know your account PIN ID/password, please contact your current phone provider for this information. Normally, you will not find this on your phone bill for privacy protection reasons.

When porting my number, The ooma rep said the code is the last 4 of my phone number..... maybe she was wrong?

2.Remove Ringmaster
A Ringmaster (or distinctive ring number) is a feature that allows you to have a single (or multiple) dial in only number that rings differently than your main line. This feature is sometimes used for fax machines that support “Distinctive Ring”. Many carriers will simply disconnect these services when your main number ports away, and they terminate your account. Your carrier is rejecting your porting request, because these features exist on your account and they are requiring you to remove them before we will be allowed to resubmit your request to port your number.
All you need to do is contact your current provider, and remove this feature. When you call, you will want to ask your carrier for a confirmation number for the removal. If your carrier tells you there is no ringmaster (or ringmate or distinctive ring) please ask for a confirmation number for that.
Send us the confirmation number, and we will print it on the next request. When your current carrier gets the next request, they will be forced to either approve it, or find something else to complain about.

I have a multi ring for our fax..... so maybe that is it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:29 am

Whatever the reason might be, just call them and clear it up. Then let Ooma porting department know you've called and resolved the "issue" and have them proceed with porting.

littlekelli

Post by littlekelli » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 am

Just a hold they put on all their accounts when a port is initiated by another carrier.

Silly to me..... now this is going to take longer :cry: