External IP used by Ooma Telo

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mlowery
External IP used by Ooma Telo

Post by mlowery » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:39 am

Greets -
I have my Ooma behind my router, everything is working great! However, 3 days ago I lost RDP access to my home network. Apparently I've been assigned a new IP. I'm on the road and desperately need access to my equipment.
I noticed the my Ooma device is working great and still receiving calls and VM's. Is there any way to determine the 'new' external IP address my Ooma is using based on my phone number or other criteria?

Thanks!

murphy

Re: External IP used by Ooma Telo

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06 pm

mlowery wrote:Greets -
I have my Ooma behind my router, everything is working great! However, 3 days ago I lost RDP access to my home network. Apparently I've been assigned a new IP. I'm on the road and desperately need access to my equipment.
I noticed the my Ooma device is working great and still receiving calls and VM's. Is there any way to determine the 'new' external IP address my Ooma is using based on my phone number or other criteria?

Thanks!
In that configuration your Ooma has no idea what your external IP address is.

For future reference you should sign up for a DynDNS account so it doesn't matter if your IP address changes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mlowery

Post by mlowery » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Yep, I do have DynDNS running on my main system, not my router. I have a feeling that system is down as updates haven't been made in 3 days.
Just means I'll have to make a 6 hour trip to reboot a computer and setup DynDNS on my router instead.... *sigh*

mlowery

Post by mlowery » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:06 pm

murphy wrote:
mlowery wrote:Greets -

Thanks!
In that configuration your Ooma has no idea what your external IP address is.

For future reference you should sign up for a DynDNS account so it doesn't matter if your IP address changes.

How does the unit know where to route my calls?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:01 am

When Ooma initializes it establishes an encrypted vpn tunnel to an Ooma server.
All control is done through that tunnel.
In effect the Ooma is on the local network of the Ooma server.
The Ooma server knows what IP address your router has but the Ooma box doesn't need to know that.

Do you have your router configured for remote administration or are you only configured to connect to your computer?

The DynDNS update, when working the way they want it to, should only update every 28 days if the IP address hasn't changed.

Can you ping your DynDNS url?

Your computer may have gone to sleep or crashed and your IP address is still the same.

DynDNS doesn't like it but I use the facility in my router to keep them updated. It does do updates more often than they would like. Once I purchased a paid account I got no more complaints about updating too often.

I have two old laptops running 24/7 on my network for remote access. My main computer is off when I am not using it.
I send a magic packet from a laptop to turn the main system on when I need to use it.

That doesn't happen much anymore since I retired and am home most of the time now.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mlowery

Post by mlowery » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:53 pm

M -
Everything you've described is as I've set my system up. The only difference, I haven't put DynDNS updates on my router. Never had a reason as I always leave my system on. As far as a ping to my DynDNS URL, it worked Monday and Failed Tuesday. So indeed this points to a locked computer. I had config'd DynDNS auto update app to update once a week, which happens to be Saturdays. So I doubt an update will occur.
Just my bad luck to have one of my systems locked up and no redundant DynDNS updater on my network.
Thanks for your help!