Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Leeway
Re: Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Post by Leeway » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I agree that this is not something you can blame Ooma for. I never got very many spam phone calls and I ported my number to Ooma and I still get very few. Political ones do drive me nuts though!!

Let's face it, it can be a very nosy world out there. Those phone calls are triggered by all kinds of things.

Have you Googled your own name to see how well known you are and what information is all over the web about yourself?

Have you installed non-trackers onto your browser?

Have you filled out a form ordering products anywhere on the web .

All of those things make you vulnerable to getting phone calls you don't want.

Donna

joe123

Post by joe123 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Leeway wrote:I agree that this is not something you can blame Ooma for.
Well, my same phone number of 30 years was ported to Ooma about a year ago and ever since, the number of Telemarketers has increased exponentially. So yes, I can blame Ooma.

The big issue at hand, is that Ooma can implement a wildcard name / phone blocking option to significantly lesson the number of Telemarkerters new Ooma subcribers are going to get by buying into Ooma.

The number of Telelmarketers has increased so much, that I now have to leave my "Do Not Disturb" Ooma option always ON. I cannot leave my Ooma as a regular phone system becasue I get bombarded with Telemarketers.

I will say that if I had know this before switching to Ooma, I probably would not have switch to Ooma or any other new phone company for that matter.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 am

lbmofo wrote:
Hollywood wrote:I also have a netTalk for calling a friend in Canada, and NEVER got a call from a solicitor or even a wrong number. I also have a google voice number that since December, I only got one wrong number, never a solicitor call.
I suppose these numbers are directly assigned and not ported?
I have accounts with Ooma assigned numbers that do not get spam calls as well.
yes. like I said, we're looking for a solution, not blame.

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:51 am

WayneDsr wrote:NO CALL LIST? Works for me. Never get a single call.

Wayne
As far as I can tell the Federal "do not call" list is completely worthless. I've reported countless numbers there and to date many of the same numbers I've reported are still ringing through. Evidently there is no enforcement of this law at all.

I like the black list but it's like playing "whack-a-mole", they just keep popping back up with a different number and a different caller ID.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

joe123

Post by joe123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 am

WJBertrand wrote: As far as I can tell the Federal "do not call" list is completely worthless.
It's actually worse than worthless. The Federal Do Not Call List does not work. It's a ruse.

This is why we need Ooma to implement a wild card blacklist of phone / names but Ooma just wont do it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am

Edit: Ooma implemented Wildcard Blacklist on 4/1/13: viewtopic.php?t=15436#p108297

joe123 wrote:This is why we need Ooma to implement a wild card blacklist of phone / names but Ooma just wont do it.
As I stated before, I agree that wildcard blacklist would be a hit with Ooma. However, let's be careful and not trivialize the challenges that Ooma might encounter implementing it. We simply don't know.
Davesworld wrote:...the Hub uses Asterisk, the Telo uses Freeswitch.
These platforms have "blacklist" functions built in; all by individual numbers as far as I can tell. Outside of processing power/performance concerns, it may require extensive customization effort to implement the wildcard blacklist adding more complexity.
lbmofo wrote:Ooma doesn't provide wildcard blacklisting currently but allows 256 specific numbers which is excellent I think. NetTalk blacklist allows measly 10 numbers and Phone Power allows 50 for example. No wildcard blacklisting from any VoIP providers that I know of so asking if you know any.
If you or anyone know of VoIP providers allowing wildcard blacklists, I'd like to know so I can learn more about it.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 pm

lbmofo wrote:As I stated before, I agree that wildcard blacklist would be a hit with Ooma. However, let's be careful and not trivialize the challenges that Ooma might encounter implementing it. We simply don't know.
Agree - I work in a highly technical field, so I do get it. But let's also be real and understand that very little is coming out of Ooma about this and what if any are the challenges.

It cannot be that difficult of a task since Ooma already do blacklist of whole numbers, so now it's a matter of now doing pattern maching.

But a word or two goes a long way and keeping quite as Ooma is doing is not helping the cause or their customers - I am not the only one asking for this.

jerseysgt

Post by jerseysgt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 pm

I noticed that no one has added to this post since July. I've only have ooma for a couple of weeks and the telemarketers are driving me nuts. I never had this problem before and I ported my old number over. It's now an everyday thing. Makes me wonder if ooma somehow makes these numbers available. Nice way to increase people's need to buy into the premier package.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 pm

I will repeat that I never had so many Telemarketers until I got Ooma. My 30+ phone was mostly silent until I got Ooma and ported my phone to Ooma.

We have had to place Ooma to directly to go voice mail. Otherwise, we would get no rest or sleep.

Not a happy customer, specially when Ooma is not allowing wild card black lists.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

jerseysgt wrote:Makes me wonder if ooma somehow makes these numbers available.
Not the case. It is happening because you ported your home phone number.