How to access voicemail using home phone?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
ctviggen
How to access voicemail using home phone?

Post by ctviggen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Can I access voicemail using the same home phone which is connected to the Ooma box? That is, I have the Ooma box in a utility room in my basement, which is where my network and phone access is. From there, the Ooma box enables use of any phone in the house. I would prefer not to have to physically access the Ooma box to access voicemail.

Can I use my home phone, which is connected to the Ooma box, to access voicemail? If so, how do I do this?

Thank you.

dknyinva

Re: How to access voicemail using home phone?

Post by dknyinva » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 am

Just dial your phone#

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:27 am

Thanks. I thought that perhaps there was an easier way (like hitting *).

dknyinva

Post by dknyinva » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:40 am

ctviggen wrote:Thanks. I thought that perhaps there was an easier way (like hitting *).
you use the asterisk when you are away from home and dial your home # and press the asterisk after hearing your VM

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 am

Thank you. When you pick up the phone does the dial tone change to indicate that you have a message?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 am

ctviggen wrote:Thank you. When you pick up the phone does the dial tone change to indicate that you have a message?
No.

If your phone supports message waiting it will tell you if there is an unheard message.
A Telo handset has a blue light that blinks when there is an unheard message.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 am

Well, that sucks. My phone will say that we missed a call, but does not support message waiting.

I also don't like that with both Vonage and Comcast, my phone would announce who is calling. With this system for some reason, the phone does not know who is calling. Part of the problem may be that I'm only seeing 7 digits with this system. I looked for a configuration for the phone (not the Ooma, the phone) to turn on 10 digits (in case that's the problem), but I found no way to do that. Nonetheless, I got those notifications with both Vonage and Comcast, but do not get them with Ooma.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 am

ctviggen wrote:Well, that sucks. My phone will say that we missed a call, but does not support message waiting.

It may be time for you to update your non-OOMA telephone handsets.

I have an AT&T DECT 6.0 base station with four wireless remotes and a DECT 6.0 headset connected to our OOMA Telo. CallerID works fine from the OOMA Telo in that the Caller ID information appears both on our OOMA Telo Handset as well as our non-OOMA handsets.

We have the AT&T base station set with fewer rings to pick up calls which go to voice mail ahead of the OOMA Telo's ring count for voice mail. On those few occasions when our phones are busy or we choose to not answer a second incoming call while we're on the phone, these few calls can spill over into the OOMA Telo's voice mail system. When this happens, in addition to seeing whether we have voice mail waiting on the AT&T non-OOMA voice mail, we receive indications on our non-OOMA telephone handsets that we have voice mail waiting on the OOMA Telo's voice mail system.

So, the voice mail integration from the OOMA Telo system to non-OOMA handsets seems to be well done.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset