OOMA not working - Not all lights on.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dwdavis100
OOMA not working - Not all lights on.

Post by dwdavis100 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 pm

My OOMA Telo device has not been working for at least 2 days, at least that I know of. It may have been out longer, but I don't receive many calls on it. The last I know it worked was about 3 weeks ago.

I have no dial tone. The "1" and "2" are the only working blue lights. All other lights are completely out. The cables are plugged in correctly. Have powered down both the device and my router with no luck. Internet works just fine for multiple computers.

thunderbird

Re: OOMA not working - Not all lights on.

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:52 am

dwdavis100 wrote:My OOMA Telo device has not been working for at least 2 days, at least that I know of. It may have been out longer, but I don't receive many calls on it. The last I know it worked was about 3 weeks ago.

I have no dial tone. The "1" and "2" are the only working blue lights. All other lights are completely out. The cables are plugged in correctly. Have powered down both the device and my router with no luck. Internet works just fine for multiple computers.
Power down the Ooma Telo. Disconnect the Ooma Telo Internet Port network cable, the Ooma Telo Home port network cable, the Ooma Telo Phone port phone cord, (and If you have a Wall port connection, disconnect the phone cord to the Ooma Telo Wall port), and anything connected to the USB port. Leave only the Power cord connected.
Repower the Ooma Telo and see if it will boot any farther then the Line 1 & Line 2 lights, to the Red flashing Ooma symbol. If it stays stuck at the Line 1 & Line 2 lights, the boot loader has failed and there is little hope for the Ooma Telo.
If it boots to the Red flashing Ooma symbol, remove power and reconnect the network cable to the Ooma Telo Interent port. Then repower the Ooma Telo. If the Ooma Telo boots to the solid Blue Ooma Symbol, reconnect all cables as before.

dwdavis100

Post by dwdavis100 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:45 pm

I will try your procedure tonight and report back. Is there a way to re-flash the firmware if it is bricked? Or, a procedure to get the device repaired?

Bought the device at Costco a little over a year ago. Have seen where other users are having similar issues. Seems strange that it would just up and die after working fine for so long. Seems to be an ongoing Quality problem.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:12 pm

dwdavis100 wrote:I will try your procedure tonight and report back. Is there a way to re-flash the firmware if it is bricked? Or, a procedure to get the device repaired?

Bought the device at Costco a little over a year ago. Have seen where other users are having similar issues. Seems strange that it would just up and die after working fine for so long. Seems to be an ongoing Quality problem.
No re-flash or repair.

But Costco has a pretty good guarantee, so you should be able to take the Ooma Telo back and get a replacement from Costco.
If you go the Costco route, after you get the replacement Ooma Telo, don't try to use My Ooma to Activate the replacement. You have to call Ooma Customer Service and have them transfer your Ooma Profile from the Old unit to the replacement unit.

dwdavis100

Post by dwdavis100 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Nope. It's bricked. I will try to take it back to Costco, but don't think I will recommend the device to my friends due to such poor quality. Certainly not manufactured to Telecom standards. If I can't get a replacement from Costco then I will never use this service ever again and will dispute charges to my card the last two months. Something like this should not brick itself after a year, especially when it wasn't used very much. I have seen online that this is a known problem. Very disappointed.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 am

dwdavis100 wrote:Nope. It's bricked. I will try to take it back to Costco, but don't think I will recommend the device to my friends due to such poor quality. Certainly not manufactured to Telecom standards. If I can't get a replacement from Costco then I will never use this service ever again and will dispute charges to my card the last two months. Something like this should not brick itself after a year, especially when it wasn't used very much. I have seen online that this is a known problem. Very disappointed.
Almost always when this happens, it from a Power Surge or Lightening Strike that effects the electric power in the home. I had the same thing happen last year after a thunder storm. After a couple of days of Line 1 & Line 2 lights, the Ooma Telo started working by itself, but it was never the same after, and I had to have it swapped out under warranty.

srmodi

Post by srmodi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm

why my ooma phone is not working. i tried. is server has problem or what. no dial tone nothing it was working before (5 hours ago) any body else face same problem ?

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:11 pm

srmodi wrote:why my ooma phone is not working. i tried. is server has problem or what. no dial tone nothing it was working before (5 hours ago) any body else face same problem ?

Ooma was down, it is ok now but coming back area by area. It will be fine soon if not already.