Double NAT -w- Time Capsule router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
richard7
Double NAT -w- Time Capsule router

Post by richard7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:07 pm

:) My time capsule blinks yellow to indicate a "DoubleNAT", but the Telo and computers work fine. Yet I've been told that one should avoid a double NAT if possible.

I am set up: modem/time capsule router/splitter/Telo. I don't want to change this configuration.

Any suggestions?

Other info:

I am running the latest version of Lion.
I've assigned the Telo a static IP address.
My QOS settings are 11000/11000. My download speed is 10000.
My ISP is ATT U Verse.
I connect the Time Capsule using DHCP. The "router mode" is "DHCP and NAT"
The Time Capsule suggests that I switch the router mode to "Bridge", but in the past this has posed a multitude of problems.
My router is a Motorola2210-02-1ATT

Thank you!

richard

thunderbird

Re: Double NAT -w- Time Capsule router

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 pm

richard7 wrote::) My time capsule blinks yellow to indicate a "DoubleNAT", but the Telo and computers work fine. Yet I've been told that one should avoid a double NAT if possible.

I am set up: modem/time capsule router/splitter/Telo. I don't want to change this configuration.

Any suggestions?

Other info:

I am running the latest version of Lion.
I've assigned the Telo a static IP address.
My QOS settings are 11000/11000. My download speed is 10000.
My ISP is ATT U Verse.
I connect the Time Capsule using DHCP. The "router mode" is "DHCP and NAT"
The Time Capsule suggests that I switch the router mode to "Bridge", but in the past this has posed a multitude of problems.
My router is a Motorola2210-02-1ATT

Thank you!

richard
Don't worry about the double NAT. The yellow flashing light can be turned off in the utilities program.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11474&p=81709&hilit ... ght#p81709 Double NAT Flashing Yellow light

richard7

Post by richard7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Thank you. It took me a while to find the "ignore" option" on the newly updated Utilities program, but it did stop the annoying flash.

rpiotro

Post by rpiotro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:56 am

I am not a fan of double NAT. Too many problems. There are good reasons that you get that warning. The simple solution is to configure your time capsule as an access point rather than a router. Works for me here.
"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

richard7

Post by richard7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

Hi rpiotro. Sounds well worth trying.

Can you offer instructions on how to do this? I am not tech savvy, so terms used to configure routers etc. are confusing to me. I don't know what an "access point" is, for example. Yet I can follow instructions and access my Telo and modem settings. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

murphy wrote:
rocksockdoc wrote:Hmm.. So when I hook the Ooma to the line coming into the house, does that double NAT me?
modem - ooma - router
Yes. There is nothing wrong with double NAT. It is far more secure than single NAT.

rpiotro

Post by rpiotro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

richard7 wrote:Hi rpiotro. Sounds well worth trying.

Can you offer instructions on how to do this? I am not tech savvy, so terms used to configure routers etc. are confusing to me. I don't know what an "access point" is, for example. Yet I can follow instructions and access my Telo and modem settings. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Bridged mode = Wireless access point.
NAT mode = Wireless router.

I see you have an odd setup. I doubt that the Uverse modem/router does QOS but that would be worth looking into. The Time Capsule definitely does not. QOS is only effective on the internet facing device. In your current configuration, the QOS on the Telo will have no effect. Set both values to 0.

I'd suggest that if you can do QOS on the Uverse device then put the time capsule in bridged mode so that all NAT and DHCP are done in the Uverse router. You can then use DHCP or assign static addresses to the Time Capsule and the Telo. If you use static IPs make sure they are compatible with the Uverse network. I believe they are usually 192.168.1.0.

Even better, If you can put the Uverse modem in bridge mode then connect it like so. Modem > Telo > Time Capsule(in bridged mode) > network. You can then use the QOS in the Telo. That is the preferred configuration and works great here. In that configuration the Telo becomes the router.

I doubt that double NAT is more secure. I think that is an urban myth. I had a security scan (not a simple port scan) done on my network and it passed with flying colors.

To put the Time capsule into bridged mode simply open the Airport utility, click on the network tab, in router mode change it to "OFF (Bridge Mode).
"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick