Just keeps rebooting. UNstable CS says its the net...

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
donscomp
Just keeps rebooting. UNstable CS says its the net...

Post by donscomp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 am

Hey all,
VERY new to VOIP here.
Purchased Ooma. Hooked it up temp. and it worked right away. But didnt have it hooked long. So not sure it it rebooted on and on with # the I chose during set up.
Ported #. Was suprised it ported in two days. I got an email yesterday saying it was done.
Checked my phone. Dead.
Went and hooked up phone to Ooma. It is hooked up with eithernet cable from Verizons Actiontec WL424WS Modem/router to Ooma into Internet input with provided flat cable.
Rebooted router Then Ooma.Booted fine. Dial tone. Talked on it. Then dropped the call. Went over to Ooma and it was rebooting. Reset everything again. Would keep checking the handset. (Just a Panasonic cordless set we have had). One of the times I checked? No dial tone. Looked at Ooma and I would see the stop,play lights cycling. Then Ooma flower blinking red. Reset again. Called support. Call your Internet. That was it.
Now, I am going to call today and cancel my phone service or make sure it IS canceled. I am sure they will raise the rate of Fios Internet but really. I am going to cancel and they are going to help me? LOL

I have been browsing around here and seen at the below topic where you should go into Ooma via either net cable and change some settings in there.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14025

What about any ports forwarding in the actiontec.

Just really afraid I mad a mistake. I am pretty techy with computers. Begineer with networks. NEW to Ooma.

Any advice will be VERY grateful.
Will do the speed test like it said in the topic above as well when I get home.

Oh. Have a quit of few things on wifi around the house.
couple laptops, WD-Live (Not on since got Ooma) Ifit treadmill (Not on since Ooma) A coupel iphones.

Bottom line so far? It just keeps rebooting which tells me it is losing internet connectivity.

Thank you all for ANY help.

Don

donscomp

Re: Just keeps rebooting. UNstable CS says its the net...

Post by donscomp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:21 am

***UPDATE***
I am at work. Called the phone. Rang 4 or 5 times. went to voicemail.
Called wife on cell. She said it never rang.

Said box is cycling the bottom lights. Then goes out. A few mins later the 1&2 light up.
Then the bottom lights cycle. Then nothing again.
I am sure if she rebooted it, it would connect. For a short while.

Thanks all
Don

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 am

First thing to check here I think is the power adapter to see if loose.

donscomp

Post by donscomp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am

I shouldnt have said a few MINS. later. A few seconds after no lights it just starts to cycle again. But doesnt boot all the way. Just lower lights cycle. Then off then 1&2 light up. Then lower lights cycle and just a big loop.
Will be home in a couple hours and see where it is then.

So if you unhook the Ethernet to Modem/router and it books up after reboot. And starts cycling again. Does that tell me it isnt the router/modem or settings and stuff?

Don

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 am

donscomp wrote:I shouldnt have said a few MINS. later. A few seconds after no lights it just starts to cycle again. But doesnt boot all the way. Just lower lights cycle. Then off then 1&2 light up. Then lower lights cycle and just a big loop.
Will be home in a couple hours and see where it is then.

Don
It sounds like your Ooma Telo is defective. As long as the Omoa Telo is within the one year warranty period, I would take the Ooma Telo back from where I bought it and exchange it for another serviceable Ooma Telo. If you do that, once you have your replacement Ooma Telo, don't try to Activate it online. Instead you have to call Ooma Customer Support and have them tranfer your Ooma Profile from the Old unit to the replacement unit.

Or

You can contact Ooma Customer Support and request a replacement Ooma Telo. The replacement comes in about a week, shipping perpaid, with a return shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back. With this unit all you have to do is plug it in and it will function from the start. You still will have to wait for about one hour, after connecting and powing the Ooma Telo, for the latest firmware to update, etc.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

donscomp

Post by donscomp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:11 am

Thank you Tbird
They are sending one out. The one thing I worry about is. When it DID work and kept rebooting I really hope that it was part of this problem.
Like I said. It is just cycles between the bottom 4 lights and the lines 1 & 2 light up.

NOW I get a call after forwarding my phone # from someone asking if I am having problems... no. TELLING me I am having problems with my windows computer!!!!?

You have GOT to be kidding.

This was a BIG mistake I am afraid. I HOPE I am proved wrong but.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am

donscomp wrote:NOW I get a call after forwarding my phone # from someone asking if I am having problems... no. TELLING me I am having problems with my windows computer!!!!?
Spam call telling you do as you are told or else your computer will eat you alive? I got one of those calls before. I politely told them to service themselves.
donscomp wrote:This was a BIG mistake I am afraid. I HOPE I am proved wrong but.
Ooma is a good choice. Never a mistake.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am

donscomp wrote:Thank you Tbird
They are sending one out. The one thing I worry about is. When it DID work and kept rebooting I really hope that it was part of this problem.
Like I said. It is just cycles between the bottom 4 lights and the lines 1 & 2 light up.

NOW I get a call after forwarding my phone # from someone asking if I am having problems... no. TELLING me I am having problems with my windows computer!!!!?

You have GOT to be kidding.

This was a BIG mistake I am afraid. I HOPE I am proved wrong but.
Once in a while, a defective new Ooma Telo will show up. A properly functioning Ooma Telo doesn't repeatedly reboot by itself.

Once you receive a replacement Ooma Telo, I doubt that you will have any more problems.

For a few people, they have to make Quaility of Service adjustments, and selecting Use Built In MAC address, in Ooma Setup, to prevent dropped calls and garbbled voice, etc.

Depending on your Internet connection and speeds, most Ooma Telo users don't even have to do those adjustments.

donscomp

Post by donscomp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks T-Bird.
******UPDATE******
Now I am thinking in is in the modem/router.
If I unhook the ethernet cable now. Ooma goes through its thing and books up. Of corse with the red center flashing. After about 5 mins. Red goes solid.
I DO plug it into the Internet right. NOT Network?
Oops. There it went again. without pluging into modem/router it just cycled through a reboot again and now flashing red.

As soon as I hook TO the modem/router it just goes through the booting but doesnt go past the lin 1&2 and the bottom lights.

Are there ports to open in the ationtec router?

Don

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am

donscomp wrote:Thanks T-Bird.
******UPDATE******
Now I am thinking in is in the modem/router.
If I unhook the ethernet cable now. Ooma goes through its thing and books up. Of corse with the red center flashing. After about 5 mins. Red goes solid.
I DO plug it into the Internet right. NOT Network?
Oops. There it went again. without pluging into modem/router it just cycled through a reboot again and now flashing red.

As soon as I hook TO the modem/router it just goes through the booting but doesnt go past the lin 1&2 and the bottom lights.

Are there ports to open in the ationtec router?

Don
If the Ooma Telo reboots by itself, without any network cables or USB devices connected, it is defective.

Note: When ever you are rebooting your Ooma setup, remove power from both the Modem/Router and Ooma Telo. Then with network cable connect from one of the Router LAN ports, to the Ooma Telo Internet port, first repower the Modem/Router. When the Modem/Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.