Default codec?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Morac
Default codec?

Post by Morac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am

I see this listed under the star commands:

*96 Use low-bandwidth codec (iLBC) for this phone call, for Ooma Telo
*98 Use high-bandwidth codec (G711) for this phone call, for ooma Telo

If I don't enter a code, what codec is used by default? My connection speeds are 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up so preferably I'd like the best codec to be the default where bandwidth isn't an issue.

lbmofo

Re: Default codec?

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 am

iLBC

Morac

Post by Morac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 am

lbmofo wrote:iLBC
Isn't G711 better?

Is there a way to change the default codec? Preferably you'd think the Telo would pick a higher bandwidth codec if it detects a high upstream bandwidth.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 am

Morac wrote:
lbmofo wrote:iLBC
Isn't G711 better?

Is there a way to change the default codec? Preferably you'd think the Telo would pick a higher bandwidth codec if it detects a high upstream bandwidth.
Don't think there is a way to set default codec.

More bandwidth isn't necessarily better.

INFO: Codecs : G711 vs G729 vs iLBC - Voice over IP

Advanced voice compression

Ooma uses an advanced voice compression algorithm that reduces bandwidth consumption by 60% over standard VoIP technology. That leaves you with more bandwidth for all your other online activities.

Adaptive redundancy

Packet loss is the enemy of VoIP – it can cause voice to sound stuttered or garbled. Ooma can detect packet loss on your Internet connection before you even hear it and automatically deploy redundant packets to boost the clarity of your phone call.

I suppose the lower bandwidth requirements of iLBC makes higher voice quality possible whether via Ooma mobile, wireless adapter etc.

Morac

Post by Morac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am

lbmofo wrote: More bandwidth isn't necessarily better.

INFO: Codecs : G711 vs G729 vs iLBC - Voice over IP
From that page:
The obvious choice : G.711a. If bandwidth is plentiful, this is the codec you will want to go for.
And G711 only uses 160 kbps (80 up and down), which is small enough to work over 3G mobile or DSL. In any case my 10 Mbps upstream is more than enough to handle hundreds of Ooma phone calls.

Edit:

I did a search and supposedly setting the default codec was supposed to be added in November 2009. I'm guessing it was removed at some point.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3501