Scout no longer operates as advertised

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
EliteCruises&Travel
Scout no longer operates as advertised

Post by EliteCruises&Travel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:15 pm

I have had the Hub/Scout system for nearly 3 years. I have been using it w/ VOIP and a cordless phone base unit/system with no problems. I recently disconnected the system and reinstalled it in a new residence. The Scout no longer works UNLESS it is directly connected to the Hub by their 2 wall ports. Because the Scout must now be connected directly to the Hub, it no longer performs its designed, listed, and advertised function, i.e., to allow a remote telephone device to be connected AWAY from the Hub.

In order to use the cordless phone base unit, it must be connected by a CORD to the Scout, which in turn must now be connected by a CORD to the Hub. This is not the purpose of the Scout. The purpose of the Scout, according to all Ooma documentation, is to enable a remotely located phone or cordless base unit to communicate with the Hub.

I spent too much time on chat and telephone w/ totally worthless and unknowledgeable foreign-based CSRs, including supervisory personnel. I was told by one CSR that the Scout MUST BE CONNECTED directly to the Hub to function. Another Supervisor told me the same thing until I directed him to Ooma's documentation which clearly states in order to connect a cordless base unit, simply plug the power supply into the wall and the cordless base unit into the Scout phone jack.
The Supervisor further stated "the cordless problem has been resolved with the new Telo". When I asked whether Ooma was going to replace then no-longer-functioning Hub/Scout with new equipment, he told me he would have an "engineer" contact me.

Ooma's Support handled the situation. THANK YOU JEREMY, of Ooma.
Last edited by EliteCruises&Travel on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Re: Scout no longer operates as advertised

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:38 pm

The Scout does not have to be directly plugged into the hub.
The wall port of the hub and the wall port of the scout must be plugged into the same phone line of the house and that phone line must NOT have a DSL signal on it.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

EliteCruises&Travel

Post by EliteCruises&Travel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Using w/ a cordless phone setup. No wall jacks in either house.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:00 pm

EliteCruises&Travel wrote:Using w/ a cordless phone setup. No wall jacks in either house.
If you didn't have walljacks in the previous house, how did you get the Scout working remotely? Like murphy says, you need to connect "Wall" port of Hub to "Wall" port of Scout via a phone cord or the house phone wiring (walljack to walljack; can't have DSL present).

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:02 pm

The Scout communicates with the hub via the Wall ports.
They must be connected together either directly or via the house wiring.

EliteCruises&Travel

Post by EliteCruises&Travel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:13 pm

NO WALL PORTS IN EITHER LOCATION. Read Ooma's documentation. There is nothing which states the presence of wall ports is required. The Hub does not need a wired wall port. The Scout does not require a wired wall port. If wired wall ports were required, then the system would not work w/ VOIP or cordless base units. The Scout apparently transmits via radio frequency to the Hub. Logic dictates (as does Ooma's documentation) that no wall port is needed by the Scout when used w/ a cordless base unit.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm

There are no radios in the Hub or the Scout.

Read page 36.

https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/file ... e_revA.pdf

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Or page 9 of this quick start guide: https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/file ... e_revA.pdf

EliteCruises&Travel

Post by EliteCruises&Travel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Ooma addressed the problem. We made a change in equipment to accommodate the situation. Thank you, JEREMY, Oooma CSR. Much appreciated.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:00 pm

EliteCruises&Travel wrote:Ooma addressed the problem. We made a change in equipment to accommodate the situation. Thank you, JEREMY, Oooma CSR. Much appreciated.
You care to share what you did?