Dropped calls Uverse -- Ooma

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
erickson_j
Dropped calls Uverse -- Ooma

Post by erickson_j » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 am

Starting about 3 weeks ago, once or twice a day calls are completely dropped on Ooma while we are talking. My setup is Uverse RG -- ethernet -- Ooma. I haven't changed any settings in the RG or Ooma. We did not have any problems before with this setup. I'm looking for a logical way to troubleshoot this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.

thunderbird

Re: Dropped calls Uverse -- Ooma

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

erickson_j wrote:Starting about 3 weeks ago, once or twice a day calls are completely dropped on Ooma while we are talking. My setup is Uverse RG -- ethernet -- Ooma. I haven't changed any settings in the RG or Ooma. We did not have any problems before with this setup. I'm looking for a logical way to troubleshoot this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Try this first:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 pm

erickson_j, some folks had issues when using Uverse as ISP with their Ooma. I've heard that resetting Uverse device firewall (settings do not change at all after resetting but works) helped: viewtopic.php?t=4785

erickson_j

Post by erickson_j » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 am

I did both recommendations above and things seemed to smooth out until this morning. My spouse tried to call me 4 times, twice the phone rang here at work. When I picked up I didn't hear a thing, but my spouse could hear me, this happened twice. The other 2 times she did not get a dial at all. All this occured with in about 3 minutes. I'm beginning to suspect Uverse, but it is intermittent, so when I test the line everything is fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. When I called back to the ooma from work it didn't ring at the house. Also, I called home an hour before with no problems.
Last edited by erickson_j on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:07 am

Sounds like outgoing call problem like the poster that posted the "uverse gateway firewall" post.

I think you can try the firewall reset of uverse gateway again but this time with power cycle of the uverse gateway before and after.