Local calling

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
vandergraff
Local calling

Post by vandergraff » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:22 am

I am new to ooma so still learning.

It seems that local numbers (same area code) can only be called with the 7 digit number (leaving out the area code) from our ooma helo. Dialing the 10 digit number gives a message saying the number is not in service

This means when we receive a local call our phone shows the 10 digit number - if we select call back from the phone it dials the 10 digit number and we get a message saying the number is no longer in service. Dialing the 7 digit number works fine.

This used to work no problem with the old Verizon phone service.

While not a big deal my family says why doesn't this work as before?

The phone is a cordless base station connected to ooma phone jack through our home wiring. Our fax has the same problem. Faxes sent to local numbers using the 7 digit number work fine - using the 10 digit number they fail.

Ideas......

(btw it seems from FAQ selecting 10 digit dialing would make our situation worse - as all local numbers would be dialed as 10 digits and fail).

lbmofo

Re: Local calling

Post by lbmofo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 am

Enable 10 digit dialing https://my.ooma.com/system and save.
7 digit dialing will still work but # at the end will eliminate the delay.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:43 am

vandergraff:
Also dialing using the 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx format is still a no charge local call any where in the USA.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 am

vandergraff, forogt to mention if you enable 10 digit dialing, dialing 10 digits for local calls will not fail. (7 digits will work too but will be a slight delay before call connects; follow 7 digits with # to immediately connect).

vandergraff

Post by vandergraff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:04 pm

I enabled 10-digit dialing and it seems to work.

Still a litle puzzled why ooma can't do the same as my cell phone - I can dial local numbers using all three formats 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, xxx-xxx-xxxx, and xxx-xxxx.

It would seem ooma has all the info to do the same and I can't imagine it is that hard for them to do......

Why does 10-digit dialing even have to be an option to choose?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 am

vandergraff wrote:I enabled 10-digit dialing and it seems to work.

Still a litle puzzled why ooma can't do the same as my cell phone - I can dial local numbers using all three formats 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, xxx-xxx-xxxx, and xxx-xxxx.

It would seem ooma has all the info to do the same and I can't imagine it is that hard for them to do......

Why does 10-digit dialing even have to be an option to choose?
Not sure why Ooma decided to make 10 digit dialing an option.

But if you have 10 digit dialing enabled, you can dial 10 digits, 11 digits (1+area code), and 7 digits (a bit of delay before connection but use # at the end to eliminate delay).