Internet Dropping after Ooma Telo.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
joebrez
Internet Dropping after Ooma Telo.

Post by joebrez » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am

I recently switched to Ooma and my phone quality has been great, other than the interesting dial tone my wife couldn’t tell the difference. In order to do some port forwarding (ModemOomaRouter), I only gave Ooma’s DHCP a range of one address, in which the router has, then forwarded my ports to the router’s IP. Works great!

However, I have an odd issue now, my router keeps dropping the internet connection to all clients sporadically although the network connection never officially drops, just access to the internet, all internal devices can access each other, so I know the router, DNS and Active Directory are working properly (home server).

I have read that using the Built-in MAC address vs. Automatic helps with call quality and plan to make this change. Would this setting assist in internet connectivity?

murphy

Re: Internet Dropping after Ooma Telo.

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 am

Yes. The automatic setting spoofs your computers MAC address and when the modem sees the change it blocks the connection.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm

joebrez:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

joebrez

Post by joebrez » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:17 am

Made the change last night, it seemed to do the trick!!! No More WIfi Drops. Going back to my original router now ;-)