new here asking about warranty and 911

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
oomakucool
new here asking about warranty and 911

Post by oomakucool » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

Hi everyone, I have it for less than two weeks. So far has no problem at all. I have plan to get an extended warranty from Square trade if it is necessary. Would anybody who own ooma telo more than one year share your experiment please? 1. Do you think adding a one year extended warranty is worthed? Also, when i put it horizontally (normal position), the bottom is hot and the top is slightly colder than the bottom. After that, I try to put it "vertically" to reduce the heat and it works. 2.Is this normal for this device? 3. IF I call 911 for help (in case), how long/ many minutes the different (or maybe about the same time) for the units come to my house compare with the traditional landlines phone? Thanks in advance.... :P

lbmofo

Re: new here asking about warranty and 911

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am

oomakucool wrote:Hi everyone, I have it for less than two weeks. So far has no problem at all.
Welcome.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
oomakucool wrote:I have plan to get an extended warranty from Square trade if it is necessary. Would anybody who own ooma telo more than one year share your experiment please? 1. Do you think adding a one year extended warranty is worthed?
Depends on how much Square Trade charges. Ooma charges (last I've seen) $39.99 for 1 year extended warranty.
If you bought with a credit card, check if that credit card would give you double the warranty.
This all depends on personal preference. Some people want to chance it yet others may not. Ooma's business model originally was based on these devices lasting about 5 years but I've seen some reports of Telos going out right after a year.

This page will tell you when your warranty expires: https://my.ooma.com/account/system
Towards the end of expiration is when that same page would offer Ooma's extended warranty. If not, you can call in to Ooma customer service to ask. 1-888-711-OOMA
oomakucool wrote:Also, when i put it horizontally (normal position), the bottom is hot and the top is slightly colder than the bottom. After that, I try to put it "vertically" to reduce the heat and it works. 2.Is this normal for this device?
Probably normal to feel warmth on the bottom. I've heard from folks saying "it doesn't matter" but I tend to believe it can only help to cool down the device. A few methods:

Netbook Cooling Pad

Raised - on top of some grill

On rubber feet - 1" Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-skid Feet with Adhesive 50 Durometer - 4-Pack

Vertical - picture easel would work too.

Also, for longevity, get an UPS unit and plug your Ooma into it.
oomakucool wrote: 3. IF I call 911 for help (in case), how long/ many minutes the different (or maybe about the same time) for the units come to my house compare with the traditional landlines phone? Thanks in advance.... :P
If your area has enhanced 911 service (most non rural areas have enhanced 911 service), should be the same because the service center gets your address information transmitted to them and you don't have to tell them your address.

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/911-services

Gurdick

Post by Gurdick » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:22 am

I had a chance to use 911 last November. After about 10 seconds I was connected to my local 911 service, after that it was just a matter of time for the Rescue unit to respond to my wife who submerged her car in a flash flood.

oomakucool

Post by oomakucool » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you again for these very very helpful responses. I take square-trade warranty for only $18/ a year; it'll start after the manufacture warranty ends. Also, i'll put some "feets" too at underneath my ooma to make sure it will never overheating/in case. :P

oomakucool

Post by oomakucool » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Update Aug 31 2012:
I canceled my ext warranty at Squaretrade BECAUSE i bought my telo with Amex :D ; I didn't realize that amex has an automatic extended warranty program IF there is a default warranty from the manufacturer; in my case, ooma warranty one year THEN the extended warranty from amex will be started for the same amount from the manufacturer (if there is 1 year, amex will give another one year too).

oomakucool

Post by oomakucool » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Probably normal to feel warmth on the bottom. I've heard from folks saying "it doesn't matter" but I tend to believe it can only help to cool down the device. A few methods:

Netbook Cooling Pad

Raised - on top of some grill

On rubber feet - 1" Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-skid Feet with Adhesive 50 Durometer - 4-Pack

Vertical - picture easel would work too.

Also, for longevity, get an UPS unit and plug your Ooma into it.
I bought a cheap $6 laptop fan with blue light on it but its USB is activated by the USB connnector from the telo; it is sweet for sure. However I connect it with my USB port on my pc since we use the pc on the day and night time. From the night to morning I turn off the pc and it turns off the fan too. In addition, I bought rubber chair feet for $ 1.75/ 4 pcs from walmart and put them underneath the telo. It almost not warm at all when the fan in On.