ooma and lightning protection help

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
garybo
ooma and lightning protection help

Post by garybo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 am

My unit was fried by a nearby lightning strike. The unit was on a surge protector as was my computer and printer. Only the ooma unit was destroyed and the purge protector is still functioning. My ooma replacement is on way, how can I hook it up so that it is better protected ?

murphy

Re: ooma and lightning protection help

Post by murphy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:41 am

If the Phone port is connected to your house wiring the surge probably came in through the phone line.
Is your phone line disconnected from the landline phone company and surge protected?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

garybo

Post by garybo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am

yes, my land line was disconnected when i installed the ooma system. I do not have whole house surge protection on my phone lines but did have the ooma unit and my computer and printer on a surge protector. I did have my ooma hooked up so that the 4 other phones in the house would ring. Even if the surge came in thru my phone wiring, the surge protector should have saved me.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 pm

garybo wrote:My unit was fried by a nearby lightning strike. The unit was on a surge protector as was my computer and printer. Only the ooma unit was destroyed and the purge protector is still functioning. My ooma replacement is on way, how can I hook it up so that it is better protected ?
What symtoms, if any, did the Ooma device exhibit after the lighning stirke?

garybo

Post by garybo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

the unit would not reboot after the lightning strike. only lights for line 1 and 2 come on, nothing happens after that point. i found a post which suggested that if this happens, remove all the wires from the unit and then replug the power cord and see if it reboots, just more of the same. the unit is dead and was on a surge protector. would going with a upgraded surge protector be a possibility or do i just keep my fingers crossed and pray that lightning will not strike anywhere near my house.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:14 pm

garybo wrote:the unit would not reboot after the lightning strike. only lights for line 1 and 2 come on, nothing happens after that point. i found a post which suggested that if this happens, remove all the wires from the unit and then replug the power cord and see if it reboots, just more of the same. the unit is dead and was on a surge protector. would going with a upgraded surge protector be a possibility or do i just keep my fingers crossed and pray that lightning will not strike anywhere near my house.
Last summer I had a lightning strike which damaged my kitchen refrigerator and air conditioner which required repairs. Although on a surge protector power strip, the Ooma Telo wouldn't operate after the lightning strike. But after fiddling with the Ooma Telo, it started working again. But the Ooma Telo was never the same, and I eventually had it replaced under warranty. So after that I upgraded all of my surge suppressor power strips though out the house, and so far haven’t had any more problems.

focuspuller

Post by focuspuller » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:18 pm

garybo wrote:the unit would not reboot after the lightning strike. only lights for line 1 and 2 come on, nothing happens after that point. i found a post which suggested that if this happens, remove all the wires from the unit and then replug the power cord and see if it reboots, just more of the same. the unit is dead and was on a surge protector. would going with a upgraded surge protector be a possibility or do i just keep my fingers crossed and pray that lightning will not strike anywhere near my house.

Has similar problem with power outage. Power went out (no storm)....UPS kicked in just fine.

When I found out the power would be off for several hours I shut down my computer and turned off the UPS.

When power was restored I turned on the UPS and powered up my computer. The hub and scout were fine. The TELO only had the 1 and 2 lights lite. Tried everything to get it back on line. Called support and they had me do a TELO reset. That did not work and had to replace TELO, (out of warranty $$$).

So from now on if there is a power outage I pull plugs before turning off UPS and then plug in after UPS is back on line and stable.
One if by Land
Two if by Sea
Three if by Limo

roxit1

Post by roxit1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 am

After a bad lighting, my ooma was pretty much dead. This happened twice. The first ooma was also destroyed due to lightning. This time, I am pretty angry because Ooma refused to honor warranty because I didn't buy it from Ooma directly. So if you buy it from Amazon, Best Buy...you are out of luck on getting warranty service from Ooma. The ooma is on a Belkin surge protector. All the other devices were fine.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:31 am

roxit1 wrote: So if you buy it from Amazon, Best Buy...you are out of luck on getting warranty service from Ooma. The ooma is on a Belkin surge protector. All the other devices were fine.
Amazon.com Telo listing says:

Warranty Information: This product comes with a 1 year warranty
Also, Belkin has an online claim form for damaged connected equipment: http://www.belkin.com/us/claim/submission
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

roxit1

Post by roxit1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:26 am

I can't really blame Belkin because all other 5 devices worked, including my Mac mini, HP laser printer, external hard drives. Yes the product comes with a 1-year warranty from the Manufacturer. I talked to Ooma and they refused to replace it because they only cover warranty if you bought it directly from Ooma. I bought it from Ebay but it was in brand new factory sealed condition. The fact that my first Ooma died due to a lightning condition gave me no confidence about the quality of their device. The first one dies after 2 years usage. The 2nd Ooma died after 10months. I love Ooma for how it saves me money. But if I have to replace this device every single year, my savings are partially taken away by buying this ooma device all the time. I can understand it when Ooma won't honor warranty If I bought a used Ooma. But that wasn't the case.