FIREWALL SECURITY AND INSTALLATION

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
phonerock
FIREWALL SECURITY AND INSTALLATION

Post by phonerock » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Ooma, which I have used since 2010, and my brand new Motorola Surfboard 6580 are not playing well together. (The Surfboard, cool name, is an all-in-one cable modem/router. It is fantastic).

When I set the Surfboard on "low firewall" protection, Ooma works (sometimes).

I spent several hours with level two tech support. I configured all ten network service ports they recommended for the modem/router under trigger range/target range. I am guessing this is where they wanted me to enter that data. The Ooma continued to operate under the "low firewall" setting (sometimes).

Just to test things, I put the Surfboard on "highest firewall" protection, and all the Ooma lights came on in blue, but the device failed to pickup or send phone calls.

I do not plan to keep Ooma if it means that I compromise my Internet security. Help please!

murphy

Re: FIREWALL SECURITY AND INSTALLATION

Post by murphy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:33 pm

You do not need to open any inbound ports.
If the modem/router has an outbound firewall that is where the published port list must be opened.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:25 pm

phonerock wrote:Ooma, which I have used since 2010, and my brand new Motorola Surfboard 6580 are not playing well together. (The Surfboard, cool name, is an all-in-one cable modem/router. It is fantastic).

When I set the Surfboard on "low firewall" protection, Ooma works (sometimes).

I spent several hours with level two tech support. I configured all ten network service ports they recommended for the modem/router under trigger range/target range. I am guessing this is where they wanted me to enter that data. The Ooma continued to operate under the "low firewall" setting (sometimes).

Just to test things, I put the Surfboard on "highest firewall" protection, and all the Ooma lights came on in blue, but the device failed to pickup or send phone calls.

I do not plan to keep Ooma if it means that I compromise my Internet security. Help please!
Who is your Internet provider?

Did you purchase the Motorola Surfboard 6580 Modem/Router or did your Internet provider provide the Modem/Router as part of the service.

Some Internet providers use their own firmware in the Modem/Router, which has instructions to block certain traffic, no matter how your set up the Port Forwarding.

I noticed that the Motorola Surfboard 6580 Modem/Router has a DMZ. Try reserving an IP address in the router, for the Ooma Telo, then place the reserved IP address into the Router's DMZ, and test.

With the Ooma Telo's reserved IP address placed in the Router's DMZ, it exposes the Ooma Telo to the Internet, as if it was connected directly to the Modem, without any blocking. (This may not happen if the Motorola Surfboard 6580 Modem/Router' access are controlled and restricted by the Internet provider).

To bad the Ooma Telo new firmware release version 60080 was delayed. I understand that in Ooma Setup, there was a tool where you could check for the port status (passage allowed or denied) of ports used by Ooma devices.

phonerock

Post by phonerock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 pm

I have tried both options that were suggested, but the firewall, at any setting other than low, blocks the Ooma call functions. The Ooma device "lights Up' in its full blue colors, but is dead to incoming/outgoing calls.

With the kind suggestions, I opened the ports on the modem. That did not work.

With the kind suggestions, I reserved an address in the DMZ. That did not work.

The box was supplied by the ISP- Time Warner. But, everyone should play together in the same sandbox. Perhaps my Ooma box is getting old- it is circa 2010, although Ooma says that they push software upgrades to it.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:51 pm

phonerock:
I would doubt that the Ooma Telo is malfunctioning. To test your Ooma Telo, take it to a friend or relatives home and see if it functions okay there.

The next step is to contact the Internet provider and tell them that their Modem/Router is blocking ports, giving them the list of TCP and UDP port numbers, that you require to run your home's equipment. They may be able to enter the Modem/Router, and open the ports that you require, from their end?

Ooma Telo new firmware release version 60080 is being "pushed" out right now. I mis-spoke in my previous post. To tell what version of firmware that you have, access Ooma setup. The version number is located at the top right hand side of the first page. Normally you would check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001, If you have an Ooma dial tone. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

If you have Ooma Telo new firmware release version 60080, you can click on the Tools tab, then the Port scan below the Tools tab. Then run the Basic Scan. It will tell you what ports are blocked and which ones that Ooma has access to.

phonerock

Post by phonerock » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 am

I wanted to close out this thread.

I ditched the Motorola cable/modem which was provided by Time Warner, and installed
my own new Motorola modem, and then a router behind it. No problems now, and Ooma
connected immediately.