need to block robocaller with 4 digit ph Number

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
xboxman
need to block robocaller with 4 digit ph Number

Post by xboxman » Tue May 10, 2011 5:26 am

Hi

it seems to be a robocaller but they only have a 4 digit ph number something like 1095 but they have a bunch of these numbers so i out the call in voice mail then when i play the message back it says says for me to hold and someone will be with me in a few mins then one time some guy came on the ph ( i guess he didnt know he was in voice mail ) and told me to stop calling him ... so is there any way i can block these numbers ???
i have added them to the black list but the same numbers still seem to get thru and they have so many diffrent numbers all 4 digits long it would take a while to block them all

thanks

I_Ooma_2

Re: need to block robocaller with 4 digit ph Number

Post by I_Ooma_2 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:39 am

Not sure what to make of that, and AFAIK there is no way for you to effectively block it.

There are a few threads floating around here about requests to add more powerful blacklisting by allowing wildcards and custom filters, etc. To me, this is one more reason why Ooma should do this.

Depending on how advanced they want to get, I know that allowing custom filters can be risky in that a customer could possibly create a filter that would block legitimate calls (or even all calls if you're really careless), but perhaps if Ooma made it an "advanced option" and explained the potential negative consequences, they could still do it.

I think the ability to use wildcards in the CID name and/or number would make the blacklist filters much more powerful. Something as simple as "555-****" or "*SMITH" to block anyone with the last name of Smith (not that I'd use such a broad and careless filter but you get the idea).

If they want to get even fancier, allow something like REGEX-based filters, maybe even with a REGEX builder that would make it easier for customers unfamiliar with REGEX to build custom filters.

Also of course, as has been suggested, show a log of calls that have been blocked/sent to VM. This would be very handy for troubleshooting as well as seeing how many unwanted calls you are avoiding! :D
Last edited by I_Ooma_2 on Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ely

Post by Ely » Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 am

Another vote for the use of wildcards or at least allow us to block by caller 'Name' I don't see why it cannot be implemented as an advanced (a little hidden) option, always clearly explaining the negative side effects of such a wide type of call blocking.

And yes I have seen several threads in the little time I have spent on these forums already requesting such features, I hope Ooma listens :)
System: Ooma Telo
Mbps: 68 Down / 12 Up
PING TIME: 5Ms
Modem>Router>Telo
===========================
Eli Linares @
http://www.realact.net
===========================

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Fri May 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Wildcarding is a good idea if properly implemented. Please add your ideas to the Feature Request section of the Forum so that Ooma will see how many people want these features improved (we all need to join forces). I've written my own request for enhancements in this section:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11639
Happy Ooma customer since January 2009
Lifetime Premier Member