Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
EX Bell
Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma

Post by EX Bell » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:51 pm

I've been using using Linksys routers for years in my home and at work. Professionally I've been using Cisco network switches for years as well. So when Cisco bought Linksys, I thought there couldn't have been a better match, and I was right. Thier routers have been strong performers, with only a few duds in the bunch. In general, I highly recommend the Cisco Linksys routers whenever I'm asked, and mine has been a perfect match for my Ooma Telo.

Since owning the Ooma Telo, I have determined, as many other users have, that the Telo is easier to physically access and functions better when it is configured after the router. The only caveat is the router must support QoS (Quality of Service) and it must be configured properly to make it a friendly partner with the Ooma Telo. I really like the way the Cisco QoS setup works. It's very straight forward to configure and as long as you don't use the Auto setting, it works well. In general, I like most of the stock firmware on Cisco routers.

I've created a guide from the stock firmware of my Cisco Linksys WRT160Nv3, but the Cisco Linksys firmware is similar among the various models, so it should still be useful as a quide for any Cisco Linksys router. I also own a Cisco Linksys E2000, but the stock firmware is a bit strange and requires two separate interfaces to get the most out of it. Other than that it's fine once you figure out that you need to access it from their wizard first. I am running DD-WRT on my E2000, so I don't have to deal with it.

PDF Download: Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma

If you can afford $20-$50 for a refurbished router, get a Cisco Linksys WRT160N v3, WRT320N, an E2000 or for under $100 the Cisco Linksys E3000 is an excellent router that has two separate transmitters for 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz channels so one does not slow the performance of the other. This chassis design of Cisco Linksys routers do tend to run a bit hot, so if you are able, I suggest mounting them vertically with plenty of room around them for proper ventilation by convection. If you cannot mount them vertically, here's an alternative fix from the DD-WRT forum using raised rubber feet.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

lbmofo

Re: Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I recently got a Cisco/Linksys WRT310N. After I bought, I saw all these reviews about it running very hot. As one person suggested, I have it standing up with ports facing up so haven't noticed any overheating; not even warm to the touch. Do you know if other Cisco/Linksys routers with same form factor have excessive heat issues if placed flat?

WRT310N.JPG
WRT310N.JPG (55.44KiB)Viewed 15628 times
[/size]

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes they do. Standing vertically like you have or with extended rubber feet as suggested by the DD-WRT forum in the link above is the way to combat this minor issue.

I actually have so many wires behind my HTPC, that I just set my E2000 behind it vertically and it stays in place. I've noticed no performance or speed issues with it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

EX Bell wrote:Standing vertically like you have or with extended rubber feet as suggested by the DD-WRT forum in the link above is the way to combat this minor issue.
So laying flat is okay as long as there is some clearance on the bottom?

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 am

Apparently so. It's working for my WRT160Nv3, no issues.

reddog

Post by reddog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 am

I currently have the recommended setup of having the Telo between the cable modem and my Linksys E1000 router. Recently, however, I've installed an IP camera designed to be accessed over the web. I believe that the Telo is blocking access to my router as I cannot access the camera over the web, so I want to attach the Telo to the router, not between the router and modem. Have you experienced any problems connecting the Telo only through the router?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 am

reddog wrote:I currently have the recommended setup of having the Telo between the cable modem and my Linksys E1000 router. Recently, however, I've installed an IP camera designed to be accessed over the web. I believe that the Telo is blocking access to my router as I cannot access the camera over the web, so I want to attach the Telo to the router, not between the router and modem. Have you experienced any problems connecting the Telo only through the router?
I've had my Ooma Telos connected Modem-Router-Ooma almost all of the time that I've used Ooma. With this setup, nothing is connected to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily to connect a computer to access Ooma setup to view or change settings. With the Modem-Router-Ooma setup, Ooma recommends that the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds (both) be set to zero.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm

reddog wrote:I currently have the recommended setup of having the Telo between the cable modem and my Linksys E1000 router. Recently, however, I've installed an IP camera designed to be accessed over the web. I believe that the Telo is blocking access to my router as I cannot access the camera over the web, so I want to attach the Telo to the router, not between the router and modem. Have you experienced any problems connecting the Telo only through the router?
No problem. As long as the QoS settings on your E1000 are configured properly as I recommended in the guide, you should have no issue. The recommendation of 80% of maximum upload comes from forum members here and was corroborated with other info I read online. I didn't personally notice a difference between setting the QoS settings on the Telo to zero and not having them set to zero, but several forum members including Thunderbird recommend it, so I did it. Even if it turned out not to be doing anything helpful, it's also not doing anything harmful.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 pm

I tried to give DHCP reserved IP to Ooma forever but doesn't seem like "never expire" is available to WRT310N out of factory.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't follow. If you reserve, you don't need to worry about expiration. That IP is always reserved and the Telo MAC address will always be assigned the IP you reserve for it. Expirations are for IP addressed that are assigned from a pool.

Am I missing something?