Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jgreg

Post by jgreg » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I've had this system for about two years. Used mostly to collect calls that I then return later. Surgery kept me house-bound for the past month so I carried one of the hand sets with me. The system is tied into my wired phones throughout the house.

The unreliability of this system is horrible! The phone rings, I push the green buttom to answer, then take my chances. Sometimes I connect and the calling party hears me. Equally, the ring ceases when answered, but the caller can't hear a word I say and the call rolls over to voice mail.... which appears some time latter.

Just moments ago, at 11PM, the phone rang. Green button pushed, no connection, Dialed my voice mail and found a call in the "Missed Call" section. Calling number? The above: 861061065802

Tell me what THAT's supposed to mean? Fortunately, my pay-back period has lapsed; I got my money back from the Ooma system. I'm now in the market for something that works and is reliable.

Anyone have an alternative to recommend? Anyone have ANY idea what the heck that number is supposed to represent?

thunderbird

Re: 861061065802

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:40 pm

jgreg wrote:I've had this system for about two years. Used mostly to collect calls that I then return later. Surgery kept me house-bound for the past month so I carried one of the hand sets with me. The system is tied into my wired phones throughout the house.

The unreliability of this system is horrible! The phone rings, I push the green buttom to answer, then take my chances. Sometimes I connect and the calling party hears me. Equally, the ring ceases when answered, but the caller can't hear a word I say and the call rolls over to voice mail.... which appears some time latter.

Just moments ago, at 11PM, the phone rang. Green button pushed, no connection, Dialed my voice mail and found a call in the "Missed Call" section. Calling number? The above: 861061065802

Tell me what THAT's supposed to mean? Fortunately, my pay-back period has lapsed; I got my money back from the Ooma system. I'm now in the market for something that works and is reliable.

Anyone have an alternative to recommend? Anyone have ANY idea what the heck that number is supposed to represent?
For your Ooma phone service problems:
First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

For the strange phone number, It's probably one of these phone scammers. They can enter any number to show up in the caller ID?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 am

Looks like a Beijing China number.

As for your Ooma service, I'd tend to focus on the quality of your internet before Ooma.

Also, you were talking about Ooma connected to your house wiring.....is the telephone company disconnected from the house wiring at your NID outside the house?

jgreg

Post by jgreg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 am

Land-line phone company disconnected from home wiring system long ago.