Scout acting up.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Robespierre
Scout acting up.

Post by Robespierre » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 am

Hello all.

I have trouble with my scout installed in the kitchen. Initially, I could not get it to hook up to the hub. Then it did, then it started going in a blue, then red, then blue, then red again mode.

This morning, it was solid blue and all was fine. However, a couple of minutes ago I saw that the scout seemed to have gone beserk. It is is acting like a Christmas tree, with all the lights acting up intermittently and the tab light switching from blue to orange to red and back to the cycle of all the lights on the scout blinking.

Any suggestion ?

P.S. Yes, I have "rebooted" the scout several times now and it continues doing the same, and the hub is working perfectly.

WayneDsr

Re: Scout acting up.

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 am

Something is messing with the signal from the hub to the scout. I forgot, is your landline still connected?
Also, if you have old wiring, you may be getting crosstalk from another line because the twisted pair many not be twisted anymore (or never was).

Wayne

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks for jumping in so quickly again !

The "old" line was disconnected from ATT. I took those wires to connect them on the bar were the "office" line is working (Phone and dsl coupled I believe, at least they are provided by the same company, and the dsl is coming out from the same cable as the office phone). The distance between the "office" and the kitchen is, at most, 10 meters. And both are on the same level.

If the phone wiring has to be redone, that will definitely be above a do it yourself thing for me.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 am

Well, it doesn't help if I "jump in" and cannot help!

On that line the scout is on, is there DSL also? If so, that is your problem.
Anything running on the same line will cause the scout to react the way it's doing. Even a landline. However, so does "crosstalk". If the twisted pair is not shielded from the other pair, it will pick up whatever is on that line.
If you decide to rewire, cat 5 cable is best.

Wayne