I changed routers and now my Ooma Telo stopped working

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
caf
I changed routers and now my Ooma Telo stopped working

Post by caf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I recently installed a new router and now my Ooma Telo won't connect to the internet. The symbol in the middle blinks red. Do I need to somehow register the new router? Or, any advice would be helpful. I can connect to the internet with my computer but now have NO phone connection since Ooma was the only one I had. :-(
THANKS for any help....

thunderbird

Re: I changed routers and now my Ooma Telo stopped working

Post by thunderbird » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:38 pm

caf wrote:I recently installed a new router and now my Ooma Telo won't connect to the internet. The symbol in the middle blinks red. Do I need to somehow register the new router? Or, any advice would be helpful. I can connect to the internet with my computer but now have NO phone connection since Ooma was the only one I had. :-(
THANKS for any help....
Try this:
Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the Stop button. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
8. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
9. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
10. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
11. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
12. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

Next use only if you are using a PPPoE DSL Internet connection.
Note: If you are using a PPPoE DSL Internet connection, the name and password may have to entered into the Ooma Telo Ooma Setup Internet Settings page. Following the words Connection type: click on the down arrow and select PPPoE. Below under PPPoE Options: Enter the Name and Password, (obtained from your Internet provider). Click on the Update device button.

Next if you the Ooma Telo is still flashing Red, do the following:
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo and Router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo or Router, which ever is connected next in line. When the Ooma Telo or router is done booting, repower the Router or Ooma Telo, which ever is connected next in line.

caf

Post by caf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 pm

THANK YOU!! I did forget to mention that I do have the WiFi attachment. I'll try your suggestion and then let you know how it turns out. AGAIN, THANKS! :-)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm

caf:
A couple of last things:
When using the Wi-Fi dongle, after entering the Router's Wi-Fi name and password in the Ooma Telo Ooma Setup Wireless page, and then rebooting the Ooma Telo; and it still won't connect, some routers require you to go back into the router and do a one time approval for the Wi-Fi connection.

If you have Ooma Telo Handsets:
Also after doing a successful Ooma Telo Factory Reset, since firmware version 60080 has came out, if you are using Ooma Telo handset(s), and they won't connect after the Ooma Telo Factory reset, you may have to dial *#*#301 (switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware) in a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port, to change the Ooma Telo handset mode from the new HD2 handset mode, to back the old Ooma Telo handset mode. The process takes a few minutes and the Ooma Telo will reboot. Then re-register the handset(s).

caf

Post by caf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:33 pm

and the journey continues....
I cannot connect to the Ooma setup page. :-( When I type in the address: www.setup.ooma.com I get a screen saying that it cannot be found. Any way to access it some other way? I've tried the one I just typed as well as: http://setup.ooma.com

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

caf:
You could temporarily connect an network cable from the Router LAN port to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo to get to the Blue Ooma symbol. Reboot the Modem, Router and Ooma Telo. Then with a network cable connected from the Ooma Telo Home port to the Wired LAN port of a computer, Wi-Fi temporarily turned off in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, reboot the computer. Then type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. With the USB Wi-Fi dongle installed, scan and enter the Router Wi-Fi Name and password in the Wireless page of Ooma Setup. Then remove the network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port. Reboot the Ooma Telo.

Or

With the Ooma Telo booted as far as it will boot, (to the Red flashng Ooma Symbol), with a network cable connected from the Ooma Telo Home port to the Wired LAN port of a computer, Wi-Fi temporarily turned off in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, reboot the computer. Then type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Firefox seems to work best when you don't have an Internet connection established yet. With the USB Wi-Fi dongle installed, scan and enter the Router Wi-Fi Name and password in the Wireless page of Ooma Setup. Reboot the Ooma Telo.

baslle

Post by baslle » Sat May 09, 2015 2:19 pm

thanks thunderbird, resetting worked perfectly for me! The only difference was, while I was holding down the trash and stop symbols (for a while), it went straight to a sold blue ooma symbol rather than having me do anything else. So, I'm glad I don't have to call in, that was painless! Thank you so much!!