Caller to my Ooma only gets busy signal

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rrelph
Caller to my Ooma only gets busy signal

Post by rrelph » Fri May 10, 2013 12:20 pm

My mother-in-law has had phone service with the local land-line phone company since the 1950's.
We just got a new Ooma phone number that's supposed to be in the same service area so she can call us without it being a long distance call.
When she calls the number Ooma gave us, all she gets is a busy signal. Not our answering machine. Not Ooma voice mail. We've tried calling from her phone and get the same results, so we know it isn't a "user error". Even local calls in this area require the area code.
Ooma level 3 support says the problem is with her line.
Verizon (her provider) says the problem is on our side.

Other callers get through on that phone line just fine. And obviously her phone works when calling other numbers - even our other Ooma phone number.

This is very frustrating... phones are supposed to "just work".

lbmofo

Re: Caller to my Ooma only gets busy signal

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm

You can verify if your number is local to your mother in law, check this out: viewtopic.php?t=13996

If dialing correctly from her phone and can not reach you, the problem is with her service provider given other folks can reach you (other folks with different service provider). Mother in law has to call her service provider to complain "how come I can't reach a working number? I can reach that number using my cell etc." Problem can not be on Ooma side if other people can ring your phone.

rrelph

Post by rrelph » Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks. The Ooma number is local to my mother-in-law.

Of course, we suspect Verizon is the problem... Your logic is not quite unassailable, however. ;-)
Verizon has observed to her that "if you can ring other phones, the problem cannot be on the Verizon side."
This is analogous to your reasoning that "If other people can ring your phone, the problem cannot be on the Ooma side."

She has been calling Verizon... and she did succeed in getting through. Once. And only once. She tries several times a day now.

I've figured out that Ooma doesn't "own" the phone number we have... It "belongs" to Broadvox...
http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-cod ... change=767

I suspect there's a problem between Verizon and Broadvox... and that involving the CPUC may be required.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 pm

rrelph wrote:Verizon has observed to her that "if you can ring other phones, the problem cannot be on the Verizon side."
This is analogous to your reasoning that "If other people can ring your phone, the problem cannot be on the Ooma side."
One big difference is that carrier initiating the call has the responsibility to get the call terminated correctly (looks up how to route etc). If other carriers can ring your Ooma, why can't Verizon? The only reason why your mother in law can ring other phones is because Verizon doesn't have issues with reaching those numbers; but doesn't mean Verizon doesn't have problems reaching your number. If mother in law has friends/neighbor with Verizon, use their phone to call your Ooma. If their phones have issues too, then it is 100% Verizon problem.
rrelph wrote:I've figured out that Ooma doesn't "own" the phone number we have... It "belongs" to Broadvox...
http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-cod ... change=767

I suspect there's a problem between Verizon and Broadvox... and that involving the CPUC may be required.
Broadvox is the original carrier, doesn't mean the carrier is still them. http://tnid.us used to tell you phone number's current carrier but no longer. If you give me the last 3 digits of your Ooma number in question, I can figure out your current carrirer so you can tell if Verizon rep knows what they are talking about.

rrelph

Post by rrelph » Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks. I agree that Verizon has the responsibility to deliver the call.

I've provided my last 3 via private message. I'll be surprised if it isn't Broadvox, since the entire exchange is pretty new, and this particular thousand-block is even newer. But I have been surprised before... ;-) Thanks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Got it and replied back. I think you are right the number is new. tnid has issues with these new numbers.