Disable DECT

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Mr A
Disable DECT

Post by Mr A » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 am

Hi all, just got my Telo and think it's pretty cool. I don't use cordless in my home ( my router is hardwired for example) so I want to disable the DECT transmitter in my Ooma as it's on 24/7 bathing me in microwaves. For me it's a deal breaker- I will be returning it to Best Buy if I can't do this. Customer service says it can't be done. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

focuspuller

Re: Disable DECT

Post by focuspuller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:32 am

Go into your Telo device setup page, DECT section and disable the DECT.
One if by Land
Two if by Sea
Three if by Limo

Mr A

Post by Mr A » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks focus, it worked like a charm. I didn't realize that you could log in to this thing like a router. I wonder why CS didn't have a clue?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 am

I've notified management.

Larry Lix

Post by Larry Lix » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Mr A wrote:Thanks focus, it worked like a charm. I didn't realize that you could log in to this thing like a router. I wonder why CS didn't have a clue?
Summer help and some aren't. ;)
Ooma Telo access via WiFi or switch & router
Number ported: Sept 13, 2013 from a Virgin $10/mon. prepaid
My small town wasn't supported
ISP: Cable 15Mb/500kb

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

The setup page solution is one way to take care of it - if you trust the software to REALLY disable the offending DECT transmission. Not wanting to leave anything to chance, my solution was to move my communications equipment into a safe environment and to use a disguise when in public. Readers of this forum are among the few who know that I'm really a raccoon. Just call me cautious.

My living room:

Keeping my home off the grid:

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Ralphort

Post by Ralphort » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 am

This thread had an effect on me. I just got an Ooma Linx less than a week ago. Both the Telo & the Linx placed in opposite sides of my bed. For couple of days me & my wife been bathing microwaves I guess. I read that based on government standards the amount of microwave radiation on DECT is too low to cause health hazards. Even so, I turned off the DECT on my Telo yesterday. I still have another worry though, I got AT&T DECT cordless phones around the house & a ham radio antenna on the roof. :(
Ooma: Ooma Telo, Ooma Linx & Ooma wireless adaptor
Internet: 50 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload WOW! cable internet
Modem: Motorola SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
Router: Asus RT-AC56U wireless AC router

phoenixtommy

Post by phoenixtommy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Your hat should keep you safe. Great picture, and it makes your point. I used to have one with a propeller. I should have kept it.

Mr A

Post by Mr A » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi ringtail furball I enjoyed your post. I see this, as in many things in life, as a cost/benefit analysis: the cost is negligible(Monoprice)-routers for example actually work better wired, my $39 Linksys streams Netflix SuperHD no problem. The benefits are potentially huge -(possibly keeping you out of the hospital with something nasty thinking "Jaysus I guess it wouldn't have been THAT hard to sit on the couch to use the phone").

Government only tests for how much your flesh might get heated up and doesn't take into account ANY other possible effects. Go ahead. Trust the government. I guess there's no way of telling just which is the gullible crowd here, but as I said it doesn't cost much to get onto the benefit side of the equation.

Thanks for the interest. Y'all keep to the woods now where you belong.
Last edited by Mr A on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Mr A wrote: Hi ringtail furball I enjoyed your post.
Thanks for the interest. Y'all keep to the woods now where you belong.
Actually, I tend to agree with you regarding potential threats of modern technology. When I was growing up (back in the early 50's) I recall some scientific experimenter mags talking about how to build crude x-ray machines for "fun." I'll bet some of those poor folks who did suffered pretty nasty unintended consequences. As to my "safe room" post, I like to sometimes add a little levity to the forum. No offense was intended and I'm glad that none was taken. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.