Block invalid phone numbers

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Morac
Block invalid phone numbers

Post by Morac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:42 am

I got a call from phone number 1036 this morning. That's not the name, but the actual reported phone number as seen both on my caller ID and on the OOMA call logs web page. Needless to say that's not a real phone number and 99.9% lilely a scam call,

Expanded blacklist can't block it since Nomorobo only works with real 10 digit numbers. I don't know about community blacklist, but it missed it despite the number being used since November to make scam calls. http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/1036

That leaves personal black list, which works, but I'd rather just block all invalid phone numbers in the first place as they are becoming more common. I received a few in the last month.

sabretooth02

Re: Block invalid phone numbers

Post by sabretooth02 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 am

And as those invalid numbers come in, you just add them to your blacklist and they won't any more.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 am

I've been putting those invalid numbers in my personal blacklist as they come in. Sometimes even using wildcards. Problem is these scammers are getting more sophisticated and vary the invalid number. It sure would be nice if Nomorobo or Ooma had an option you could select to block all invalid numbers. But then the scammers will just start spoofing our own number and varying the last few digits so it looks like a valid number. I already have my own number in my personal blacklist to prevent calls from those who spoof my number. This is getting to be a never ending battle.

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 am

And what would those invalid number be? Give it up, scammers will adapt. You ignore.

caseym54

Post by caseym54 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 am

sabretooth02 wrote:And as those invalid numbers come in, you just add them to your blacklist and they won't any more.
That is the least useful comment I have seen this morning. Just keep adding the random numbers, guy!

There are a number of validation rules for US phone numbers, and these rules should be used. No valid call comes from an invalid number. They should all be blocked.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 am

sabretooth02 wrote:And what would those invalid number be?.
All invalid numbers would be numbers that don't have the proper format and number of digits like the 1036 number we were discussing. Also any numbers that come from an invalid area codes such as 000. Reject invalid numbers could be an option you could turn on or off like anonymous call rejection.

Morac

Post by Morac » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:17 pm

This is still an ongoing issue. Got a call from 19046400 at 10 PM at night.

Any number that's not 7 or 10 digits (or optionally starts with valid International code) should be blocked, especially since the expanded blacklist will only filter valid phone numbers (restriction of NomoRobo). At least give us the option to block it.

Someone suggested adding 0* and 1* to my personal blacklist, but apparently Ooma decided people shouldn't do that as now all blacklist numbers must contain at least 2 digits.

Edit: apparently you can enter 0* and 1*, you just have to enter it as 10* and 11*.