How to activate second line

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mathewjn
How to activate second line

Post by mathewjn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:36 pm

I bought the latest version of Ooma device - and subscribed to the Premier service

How do I activate the second line - I am using a regular Panasonic 5 handset (wireless) - bought new.

Do I have to add another Ooma device in order to get the second line going?

The support chat line asked me to press 'Flash' twice - but that did not work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

oomamaniacal

Re: How to activate second line

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19991

Yes, you will need another device. I use an Ooma LInx and a 2-Line Panasonic system.

I created a private online account at My Ooma.com and have my secondary number and Linx associated with it. The Telo feeds my primary phone number to the Panasonic system, and the Linx feeds the secondary number.

With Premier and taxes, I am getting two-lines for only about $15/mo.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

mathewjn

Post by mathewjn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 pm

They didnt tell me that when I signed up - I was given to understand that it would work on any panasonic phone

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:04 pm

mathewjn wrote:They didnt tell me that when I signed up - I was given to understand that it would work on any panasonic phone
Well, it really depends on how much functionality you want.

As explained in the previous post by Tom B, you can...
1. Press flash on your phone. You will get dialtone, next dial the number. Using flash you can toggle betwen the 2 calls.
2. Wait for call waiting beep, then press flash to answer the call. Using flash you can toggle between the 2 calls.
(Without buying a Linx or a two-line phone system.)

If you want a full-featured, two-line system, you will need a Linx or an HD2 handset. I prefer the Panasonic 2-Line handsets.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

mathewjn

Post by mathewjn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:27 pm

As explained in the previous post by Tom B, you can...
1. Press flash on your phone. You will get dialtone, next dial the number. Using flash you can toggle betwen the 2 calls.
2. Wait for call waiting beep, then press flash to answer the call. Using flash you can toggle between the 2 calls.
(Without buying a Linx or a two-line phone system.)

No I am not looking for full feature - I am just looking for a second line. Pressing flash, does not get me a dialtone - if it did, I wouldn't have posted here to begin with.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:32 pm

mathewjn wrote:
No I am not looking for full feature - I am just looking for a second line. Pressing flash, does not get me a dialtone - if it did, I wouldn't have posted here to begin with.
You should receive a dial tone if you flash during a call that is already in progress, and the second line is not already in use. The bulit-in flash button on my Panasonic handset works with the Ooma Telo to provide the proper duration for the flash.

You can use a star code when dialing out to determine which phone number you wish to transmit when making a call...
Ooma Star Codes:

**0 use the primary number as the callerid on this call
**1 use the secondary number as the callerid on this call
**2 etc.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 am

oomamaniacal wrote:If you want a full-featured, two-line system, you will need a Linx or an HD2 handset.
You can also carry on two separate conversations at once by using a Bluetooth headset for one of the calls.

Post by 3566970 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 am

mathewjn wrote:They didnt tell me that when I signed up - I was given to understand that it would work on any panasonic phone
Most deceptive companies and false advertisement rarely ever expose what the real requirements and additional cost are. It's always after they have suckered you in that you find out the real deal about them... The question becomes will you stay or will you walk away

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

I've asked webteam to improve the "Instant Second Line" wording at https://www.ooma.com/premier. To "Make or receive a second call while your phone is in use" requires an HD2 or Linx (or Ooma DECT Headset, Ooma Safety Phone, or Bluetooth headset but with more limited functionality). A standard phone lacks the integration to make this possible.

MarkMB

Post by MarkMB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Could it be that Ooma doesn't support a two-line phone? Why not?

Because spending two cents more for a four-wire jack would mean they can't sell a $50 piece of Linx hardware. It's only adding insult to injury to conceal the need for additional hardware.

I am currently solving the problem by forwarding the phone to a $50 Obi device that picks up with Google voice. By avoiding Ooma on the second line, I get caller ID (which Google doesn't support) and improved transcription (which is free and better than Ooma's).