Linx Hook up Issue - with wall line

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mendobob
Linx Hook up Issue - with wall line

Post by mendobob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 pm

I have two phone cables emerging from the linx with a line splitter. One is connected to a nearby telephone and it works fine. The other cable plugs into the the home phone wall lines - I can get a dial tone and call out through that phone - but this phone will not ring when a call comes through (I can talk to the caller).

Any ideas on how to get it to ring when called?

murphy

Re: Linx Hook up Issue - with wall line

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:29 am

Is it an old phone with real bells? The Linx doesn't provide enough current to drive those bells. Try a modern phone with an electronic ringer.

Has the wall line been disconnected from the old landline provider? If not, the Linx is trying to drive up to 5 miles of wire that may still be connected to the landline provider. Fix this immediately before it destroys the Linx.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mendobob

Post by mendobob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Murphy - House line is disconnected to outside world and the phone that is hooked up to the in house line is an uniden electric handset. Issue may be the house line is rather far - out to greenhouse - 100 yards +-

mendobob

Post by mendobob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm

I do Have internet at the greenhouse via netgear. A wifi router is hooked up to it. Can I hook up another Ooma device out there?

Another Linx or Telo? ??

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:43 am

You could put another Telo out there but it would be a different number and account.
The Linx connects to the Telo via Bluetooth. 100 yards is way beyond the maximum range for Bluetooth.
Can you run the phone line directly to the greenhouse without also being connected to the rest of the unused wires in the house? Is the line to the greenhouse direct buried in the ground? If so there may be damage to outer insulation that allowed water to flood the line. Hopefully the run was done with direct burial rated cable.

An interesting experiment would be to switch the locations of the phones to see if the one that rings in the house also rings in the greenhouse. Have you verified that the one in the greenhouse doesn't have its ringer turned off?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx