Telo Flashing red 4 times then pause then repeat

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jvcjbl
Telo Flashing red 4 times then pause then repeat

Post by jvcjbl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 pm

I just recently signed up for Ooma service two days ago. I hadn't ordered my cordless phones yet so I only completed the activation and set up the wireless dongle as a trial. My cordless phones came in yesterday and I said them up last night. I noticed that even though I had already set up my wireless dongle for whatever reason it wouldn't reconnect to my Wi-Fi. I connected an ethernet cable to the homeport and reconfigured the wireless and it connected. Upon turning the phone on I heard the classic Ooma musical dial tone. Knowing that my wife couldn't stand this I wanted to change it to the standard dial tone. I remembered seeing the setting on the my.ooma website so I made the change. Upon making a change I noticed the old dialtone was still in place. I reached out to the chat support and the guy on the chat said he "deleted my dialtone from my account" and everything should be good to go. I noticed I didn't have a dialtone, so I then looked over at the Telo and noticed that it was blinking red. I asked the guy about this and he said I needed a reboot the Telo and quickly disconnected. It was almost like he couldn't get off the chat fast enough. Upon rebooting the device it once again wouldn't connect to Wi-Fi. This time no matter what I did I couldn't get it to reconnect my Wi-Fi even with rebooting my modem and wireless router. Out of frustration I move the Telo over to the router in hardwired it through ethernet. Upon powering it up this time it was flashing purple indicating that it was downloading firmware. When I first connected it to days prior it had already completed the download in roughly 5 minutes time. I figured it needed to go through this so I let it sit. 15 minutes went by and it was still flashing so I once again reached out to the chat. The representative I talk to you this time told me it could take up to 30 minutes to complete and they could see it was halfway done I need to allow 20 more minutes time to pass and it should complete. 30 minutes had passed and it was still flashing so I once again reached out to the chat and they told me it was completed to go ahead and manually reboot the device. Upon doing this the Telo rebooted but this time flashing red four times pausing and flashing red four times over and over again. I can make and receive phone calls, but I cannot get it to stop flashing. I reached out to the chat again before going to bed and they told me I needed to call in and speak to phone support. I did that today and was told that they had to reach out to engineering and basically had no idea what was going on but to give them 24 to 48 hours. I've tried countless times to do a factory reset through the web portal as well as the phone commands and nothing will work. Can anyone help or give me any ideas as to what's going on? Well my service is technically working I cannot stand the persistent red flashing. From what I gather online it says that it is a "DECT module firmware upgrade" or something like that. The guy in tech-support confirm this but said it makes no sense as I'm not using any of their phones but my own.

murphy

Re: Telo Flashing red 4 times then pause then repeat

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:25 am

Connect a computer to the Home jack of the Telo.
If the computer has wireless capability, disable the wireless.
Connect to

http://172.27.35.1

This is the web page inside of the Telo.

Select the DECT tab and click the Disable DECT button.
If the blinking doesn't stop select the Advanced tab and set the Brightness control to 0.

Verify the Telo still works.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jvcjbl

Post by jvcjbl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:31 am

I have clicked on that a bunch of times and it doesn't do anything. Same thing with the factory reset under the advanced tools. When I click on on "disable dect" the button clicks and nothing happens. For example when I click on "factory reset" the little message "wait" comes in the background and nothing happens. The only thing that really does anything is "reboot" which as you know doesn't fix the issue. Any idea as to why my wireless won't connect anymore? What was strange about the wireless is that I have a mesh network in my home. The wireless dongle would see all three of my access points which is weird and show three networks with the same name.... I'd choose the one with the strongest which I assumed represented the access point literally 2 feet away from the telo. Now, when I connect to the wireless (or rather try) it only shows one with a weak network signal. I'll input the network key and it has the blue boxes scroll across the top and eventually says "network configured' and I'll see the network name at the bottom. Shortly after it will kick and error saying that it can't be connected and to check the network key and that the network can't be configured.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:56 am

The Telo, the wireless access point, and the cordless base should be at least 3 feet away from each other. If too close the transmitter in one blocks the receiver in the other.

Think listening to someone talk to you while someone else is shouting into your ear.

Those buttons should work. I have no idea why they don't.

jvcjbl

Post by jvcjbl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 am

I don’t the wireless base that close but I get what you mean I was being a little facetious. I have a networking degree so I’m not worried about wireless as I’ll be hardwiring it’s. Just found it peculiar that the wireless stopped working after that tech did his thing. It is common for wireless devices to see the access points especially when it is 2.4GHZ only and these mesh network access points are tri-band. I try another browser and see if it’s safari being wonky.

jvcjbl

Post by jvcjbl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 am

I was able to disable the DECT as you mentioned but it still flashed 4 times. What is strange is when I disabled it, the unit rebooted as it should. I tried the factory reset which I believe should also reboot the unit... did nothing. I tried to re-enable the DECT again but it wouldn't reboot and do anything. I don't get this thing and why it's so dang inconsistent.

jvcjbl

Post by jvcjbl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:50 am

I doubt the tech support would call me this weekend so it will be at least Monday from them to hear "back from engineering". I think I may be better exchanging the unit and getting a new one and just move on. This is crazy at this point. Factory reset doesn't work. Can't re-enable DECT (not that I need it), it's still flashing RED 4 times. The WiFi dongle doesn't connect to WiFi anymore. At the end of the day I can make and receive calls, but in all fairness it's not working correctly. So far I'm very unimpressed with their tech support as they brought on this issue IMO.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 am

You might want to try a factory reset.

*#*#099 - Factory reset

jvcjbl

Post by jvcjbl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:56 am

No lie, I tried that 12 times last time and it never reset. I can't get this thing to reset to save my life

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:26 pm

I assume that you have a Telo 2.

Have you seen this.

Telo2 Bootup sequence:

a- play-solid-yellow - power on (3 sec)
b- logo-solid-purple - boot mgr starting (3 sec)
c- logo-solid-red - linux booting (60 sec)
d- logo-blinking-red 1/2 sec on/off - linux up (30 sec)
e- after that you can get following status:

1 short red blink, long delay [repeat] - network down
2 short red blinks, long delay [repeat] - vpn down
3 short red blinks, long delay [repeat] - management down
4 short red blinks, long delay [repeat] - dect base firmware upgrade

Telo2 Factory reset:

- press down on play and trash buttons as soon as stage d. is reached (blinking red), or sooner if you like
- wait for blinking red to transition to a fast red/blue blink
- wait for fast red/blue blink to transition to solid red
- release the buttons
- the logo will next be off for about a minute (but there will still be link lights)
- the unit reboots