Voice Mail Not Picking Up

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
wds1
Voice Mail Not Picking Up

Post by wds1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:54 am

I had Time-Warner digital cable service that included digital phone and voice mail. When I set up the new Ooma Telo hub I purchased yesterday I also set up voice mail, set a PIN and recorded a greeting on the Ooma voice mail service. I am in the process of porting my old phone number over to Ooma and have not gotten a temporary number. I wired the Ooma hub so that the wire from my cable company supplied router goes into the "wall" plug in the back of the Ooma hub. Then connected my wireless phone to the "phone" plug in the back of the Ooma hub. I intended this to be a temporary wiring until my phone number was ported to Ooma.

When I go to the Ooma web site, press the button on the Ooma hub to retrieve voice mail or dial my own number from a phone I am routed to the Ooma voice mail box. When I call the main number for Time-Warner voice mail (different than my home number) using my phone the messages stored at Time-Warner are played back. Also when I dial my home number using a cell phone the Time-Warner voice mail picks up.

I called Time-Warner and discontinued my voice mail service thru them in the hopes that the interference it was causing (and blocking in some way the Ooma voice service from kicking in). Now when I dial my home number no voice mail system picks up (Time-Warner or Ooma). Is there a setting I need to change on the Ooma hub or voice mail to make it pickup. Also, I currently have the Ooma preference set to 5 rings before voice mail picks up except that now it never picks up - it just keeps ringing.

Any ideas what setting I need to change to make the Ooma voice mail pick-up.

Groundhound

Re: Voice Mail Not Picking Up

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 am

wds1 wrote:I had Time-Warner digital cable service that included digital phone and voice mail. When I set up the new Ooma Telo hub I purchased yesterday I also set up voice mail, set a PIN and recorded a greeting on the Ooma voice mail service. I am in the process of porting my old phone number over to Ooma and have not gotten a temporary number. I wired the Ooma hub so that the wire from my cable company supplied router goes into the "wall" plug in the back of the Ooma hub. Then connected my wireless phone to the "phone" plug in the back of the Ooma hub. I intended this to be a temporary wiring until my phone number was ported to Ooma.

When I go to the Ooma web site, press the button on the Ooma hub to retrieve voice mail or dial my own number from a phone I am routed to the Ooma voice mail box. When I call the main number for Time-Warner voice mail (different than my home number) using my phone the messages stored at Time-Warner are played back. Also when I dial my home number using a cell phone the Time-Warner voice mail picks up.

I called Time-Warner and discontinued my voice mail service thru them in the hopes that the interference it was causing (and blocking in some way the Ooma voice service from kicking in). Now when I dial my home number no voice mail system picks up (Time-Warner or Ooma). Is there a setting I need to change on the Ooma hub or voice mail to make it pickup. Also, I currently have the Ooma preference set to 5 rings before voice mail picks up except that now it never picks up - it just keeps ringing.

Any ideas what setting I need to change to make the Ooma voice mail pick-up.
Assuming you have a Telo, not a Hub (term generally used to refer to the older unit before Telo), and that you intend to keep Premier service after the trial so you have voicemail. When you activated your Telo, did you choose to integrate your landline with it?

wds1

Post by wds1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 am

Thanks for the clarifying questions.

- I have the new, black Telo unit (purchased a few days ago)

- I have signed up for the premium service

- I believe I selected the option to integrate my landline. Is there a way to confirm this election?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 am

wds1 wrote:Thanks for the clarifying questions.

- I have the new, black Telo unit (purchased a few days ago)

- I have signed up for the premium service

- I believe I selected the option to integrate my landline. Is there a way to confirm this election?
Yes, unplug the phone cable from the wall port. If the Telo goes off line, you chose to integrate your land line.
The only way to change that is to call customer support.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx