Number porting

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
shedberg
Number porting

Post by shedberg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey all,
I have Ooma and recommended it to my sister in another area code. They want to port their number but Ooma is saying they ca't port that number. My understanding from the FCC regulations as of July, 2009, the "owner" of the number is required to allow a port if requested. Is that not true? I suspect the person my sister talked to did not understand and she should just fill out the porting form. Is that assumption correct?

amoney

Re: Number porting

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Is she porting a landline number or cell phone, should not matter, just wondering the background info.

Does not hurt to try requesting the PORT and see, I am assuming she has already purchased the Ooma? And if this is a deal breaker she may not have time to wait to see if things will work out (return period).

If she does request a PORT, she should have a confirmation request email the next day indicating approximate PORT date, next is to wait it out, perhaps calling customer service a week before to verify the PORT date, wait for the PORT date and see what happens, and followup. If things go wrong, Ooma should notify her but there are reports that this does not regularly occur.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

SDGeek

Post by SDGeek » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Not all numbers can be ported. There is an applet to tell you if the number can be ported on the Ooma site http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

shedberg

Post by shedberg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:25 am

The number to be ported used to be an AT&T number that has been ported to Frontier using Voip. The tool says it may or may not be able to be ported. However, I thought the FCC mandates allowing porting???