Help! Can make outgoing calls, but home phone won't ring

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
newatthis
Help! Can make outgoing calls, but home phone won't ring

Post by newatthis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:27 am

This is NOT an issue where it just switches over immediately to voicemail, but rather that the caller can hear it ring until voice mail picks up, but the actual house phone DOESN't ring. And, yes, I checked the voicemail button, and no help. Tried to call Ooma support repeatedly on Saturday and never got off hold. Have tried two set-up configurations; 2B was recommended in the initial setup, and have switched now to Option A, connecting between modem and router. I have cable-based phone and internet connection, no wall jack. Have tried plugging wall phone connection into both wall and phone connections, but no help. Also checked phone ringers; not an issue. PLEASE help me sort this out; have not yet tried to port my number, though I began to; thought I should see if it worked for me before doing so, so am wondering if Ooma has assigned me another phone number? If so, can't find it. My account lists number as my current one. Obviously not going to work out for me if my phone won't ring.

Groundhound

Re: Help! Can make outgoing calls, but home phone won't ring

Post by Groundhound » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 am

newatthis wrote:This is NOT an issue where it just switches over immediately to voicemail, but rather that the caller can hear it ring until voice mail picks up, but the actual house phone DOESN't ring. And, yes, I checked the voicemail button, and no help. Tried to call Ooma support repeatedly on Saturday and never got off hold. Have tried two set-up configurations; 2B was recommended in the initial setup, and have switched now to Option A, connecting between modem and router. I have cable-based phone and internet connection, no wall jack. Have tried plugging wall phone connection into both wall and phone connections, but no help. Also checked phone ringers; not an issue. PLEASE help me sort this out; have not yet tried to port my number, though I began to; thought I should see if it worked for me before doing so, so am wondering if Ooma has assigned me another phone number? If so, can't find it. My account lists number as my current one. Obviously not going to work out for me if my phone won't ring.
It sounds like you chose to have your old phone service integrated with Ooma instead of getting an Ooma number, so your old phone company is still handling your inbound calls and you must connect your old phone line to the Ooma wall port in order for the phones connected to the phone port to ring. Since your old phone company is cable, you would need to connect the phone connection on the cable company modem to the Ooma wall port.

newatthis

Post by newatthis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 am

Tried connecting it to wall port - no help. I should perhaps also mention that ALL the buttons/lights on the Ooma Telo are lit up blue at all times. Which is NOT what is shown in the photos. Is this how it's supposed to look? How many college graduates does it actually take to make this thing work? Not to go on about it, but it would be helpful to see a video about how to install, rather than the rather more advanced topics addressed.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:34 am

newatthis wrote:Tried connecting it to wall port - no help. I should perhaps also mention that ALL the buttons/lights on the Ooma Telo are lit up blue at all times. Which is NOT what is shown in the photos. Is this how it's supposed to look? How many college graduates does it actually take to make this thing work? Not to go on about it, but it would be helpful to see a video about how to install, rather than the rather more advanced topics addressed.
First off, take a deep breath. Thousands of us have gotten our Telo to work and I'm sure we can help you too. As I addressed in your other post about the lights all being blue - this is not a problem. Let me assure you that when the Telo was photographed for the package it wasn't even hooked up. They probably added the blue to the logo with photoshop to make a nice picture. Your Telo SHOULD have all the lights blue unless you (a) are on the phone, (b) have a message, (c) have the system in do not distrub, (d) have them turned off, or (e) are pressing things.

Now lets get your system working by first understanding what is happening to your calls. If you chose to integrate your landline with your Telo (which means you will continue to use your old phone number until your port completes) and were not given a new phone number, then an incoming call will come from the cable box telephone jack. In this case, incoming calls do not come over the Internet via ooma - they come through your cable modem/ATA box. If you want it to work with the Telo, connect a cord from this jack on your cable box to the WALL port on the Telo. Then plug a single corded phone or a cordless base station into the PHONE jack on the Telo. In this simple configuration, you should be able to take incoming and make outgoing calls on that phone. If you have additional phones in the house, they will not work yet. We're only testing things at this point.

If this works, and it should, you can use the PHONE port on the Telo to power the other phones in your home, just as you probably did with your cable box. Instead of your home wiring connecting to your cable box, you plug it into your Telo PHONE port. You will also want to go outside to the Network Interface Box where your home wiring at one time connected to the local telco. There will be a customer access side where you can open the box with just a screwdriver. Inside the box, unplug the little cords from their jacks. Then place a note in the box that says, "Do not reconnect service. Doing so will damage customer equipment."
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

newatthis

Post by newatthis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:58 am

You rock. Thanks for that. Got the sucker to ring; now all I have to do is fill out the online form to get my number ported, I guess? And in the meantime, it will continue to work, via Comcast?

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 am

newatthis wrote:You rock. Thanks for that. Got the sucker to ring; now all I have to do is fill out the online form to get my number ported, I guess? And in the meantime, it will continue to work, via Comcast?
Super news! Yes, incoming calls will come through Comcast, outgoing through the Telo. That means free US calling even if Comcast didn't offer it because all outgoing will go through the Telo. When the number ports, ooma will make the needed configuration changes and will let you know when the number is ported so you can disconnect the wire from the Comcast box to the Telo. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.