No Dial Tone/Phone says No line

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jdefuria
No Dial Tone/Phone says No line

Post by jdefuria » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I set up my Ooma hub today and thought I had it running well. I followed all the directions to get the device operational, but that seems to have failed. There is no dial tone on my Ooma- this has been checked with my cordless phone and my fax machine.

On the Ooma, you can see line 1 ring when I call from a cell phone, but the phone doesn't ring because the ooma appears to not be ouputting any sort of dial tone. I tried a hard reset by holding down the ooma tab, but that didn't work. I thought it was the phone so I swapped it out at walmart but it still isn't working.

What are my options now? I have it installed between the modem and the router. Again, it visible rings on the ooma device itself but I am not getting a dial tone on my phone, nor is it ringing there.

Phone is a VTech DECT 6.0 CS6329-2

Thanks

southsound

Re: No Dial Tone/Phone says No line

Post by southsound » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Is your phone plugged into the PHONE jack on the hub? There will not be any dialtone on the WALL jack. Also, did you get a new number from ooma or are you using your old number (they call that landline integration - most of us here recommend against it).
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jdefuria

Post by jdefuria » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 am

Yes, it's plugged into the phone jack. It's a new number, not a ported one.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:40 am

Hello,

Here's a test you can try since you have nonlandline config.

Connect the scout's wall port directly to the hub's wall port:

Move the scout & scout’s power supply over to the hub.
With the hub displaying a blue tab, take a phone cable & connect one end to the scout’s wall port on the back.
Take the other end & plug into the hub’s wall port on the back.
Power up the scout & allow a few minutes – after the tab on the scout turns blue, plug a phone into the phone port on the scout to see if you have dialtone. Other thing maybe a bad phone cable?

I show your hub is online & operational.

jdefuria

Post by jdefuria » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:59 am

Yes, that works with the scout plugged in. I get the dial tone that way. However, same cable in the phone port in the back of the hub- still nothing. Obviously this port is broken. What are the next steps (I just bought this new from Amazon)

Thanks,
Jay

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello Jay,

You may want to contact Amazon to let them know that the unit is defective.
Other option is to contact our support line to have them RMA the unit.

kevenfry

Re: No Dial Tone/Phone acts like all is well.

Post by kevenfry » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:59 pm

I had used Ooma for two weeks without problem. I had subscribed to Premier and ported my landline as a second number. Everything was working fine.

Suddenly, we got no dial tone and no ring tone, so no calling out and no receiving calls. Everything goes to voice mail. We rebooted the computer and the modem and router and the ooma device several times. We also isolated the Ooma device with a single hand set and then changed out to a different hand set and changed all cords, computer and phone cords. Still we have no dial tone in or out. Also, Ooma sent a replacement device which we installed. Still no dial tones.

Ooma acts like all is well - all blue lights. When you call in, it rings for the caller 4 times and then goes to voice mail as if nobody is at home. But at home, we cannot receive calls or make calls using Ooma.

southsound

Re: No Dial Tone/Phone acts like all is well.

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:10 pm

kevenfry wrote:I had used Ooma for two weeks without problem. I had subscribed to Premier and ported my landline as a second number. Everything was working fine.

Suddenly, we got no dial tone and no ring tone, so no calling out and no receiving calls. Everything goes to voice mail. We rebooted the computer and the modem and router and the ooma device several times. We also isolated the Ooma device with a single hand set and then changed out to a different hand set and changed all cords, computer and phone cords. Still we have no dial tone in or out. Also, Ooma sent a replacement device which we installed. Still no dial tones.

Ooma acts like all is well - all blue lights. When you call in, it rings for the caller 4 times and then goes to voice mail as if nobody is at home. But at home, we cannot receive calls or make calls using Ooma.
It is really risky tagging on to an existing thread and expecting great advice when you really may have a different problem. We know nothing about your configuration of your ooma device in your network, any firewall issues, your Internet source, or even if you have a hub (white) or Telo (black). Given the total lack of information, all we could do is guess. Please consider posting a new thread or if you have to, reply to this one - but give us some details so we can try to help.
Lifetime Premier Member

kevenfry

Post by kevenfry » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry about not knowing how to start a new thread. This one was the nearest I could find. My device is a telo (black). I thought perhaps others had experience with this problem but apparently not. I will call on some computer expert to see if he can discover the problem for me. I was just confused about it working without problem for weeks then suddenly not working. Sorry to trouble you.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:58 pm

kevenfry wrote:Sorry about not knowing how to start a new thread. This one was the nearest I could find. My device is a telo (black). I thought perhaps others had experience with this problem but apparently not. I will call on some computer expert to see if he can discover the problem for me. I was just confused about it working without problem for weeks then suddenly not working. Sorry to trouble you.
No problem and certainly no trouble. I'd like to help you but I just wanted to make sure I had enough information to see what the problem might be. The reason for knowing what kind of device is that the OP had the older system - and some things are very different.

What kind of Internet are you using - DSL or Cable?
Have you changed anything two weeks ago that might have had an effect? Things like moving the ooma from in front of the router to behind it? Maybe replaced the modem or make some adjustments to the router's firewall? If you have a computer connected after the Telo (either it or your router would be plugged into the Home Network port on the Telo) try going to setup.ooma.com with your browser. If this doesn't work, try typing in the IP address: 172.27.35.1 and report back what it shows under the Status tab. While you are there, click the Network tab and under the heading: MODEM Port MAC Address select Use Built in then click update. If you are using Cable, the system might have changed MAC numbers and you will have to reboot your modem to allow it to respond properly. If you have a voice/data cable modem, you will need to find the little "reset" hole or button and reset it that way. Again, we are happy to help but just need more information. Oh - as to how to start a new thread, just select the appropriate area of the forum and you will find a little "new topic" botton at the top left.
Lifetime Premier Member